Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hush A Bye Trees


 gesso on my fingers

there's nothing like paint on your fingers to make you feel like an artist

I grabbed the camera to preserve that moment, that thought for myself

and I giggled because that first thought that had popped into my head was of Florence and the artist's guilds, the masters and then I said "hush girl" - that's a place to be revered...


this book I'm preparing, gessoing it's pages, is for my year long foray into the study of words

 I'm only preparing a few pages now - it feels more fluid that way, not preparing them all
I can decide as I go what I want to do on the page without feeling I've er - painted myself into a corner


I love the front cover, with it's soft grey colours; hush is grey and pale, silvery with the first light of dawn, when the world around you is sleeping

or dark like a whisper in the night

hush is your mother's hand smoothing your hair after you fall

hush a bye baby

I just read North American Indians placed babies in the tree branches to rock them to sleep on the wind

I love that

It reminds me that when I was little I thought the trees were dancing - I didn't know it was the wind that was making them sway to and fro 

I think I'm ready to believe it again...

13 comments:

MosaicMagpie said...

In the tree tops, when the wind blows, the cradle will rock. Love the hushed tones of grey.
Deb

dianehobbit said...

Good luck with your book on words, love the story with the babies in the trees.

Dorthe said...

Your book will surely be so lovely, dear Jillayne-and filled with clever and beautiful words.
Isen`t it funny, that we, when getting older, starts to want to believe, what earlier our childish imagination , so beautifully made fairytales ,about?
Love, Dorthe

Bead and Needle said...

I love that cover, too - what a fabulous project you have underway, you artist, you! Happy week...Tanya

Marj Talbot said...

Rock a by baby on the tree top
When the wind blows the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks the cradle will fall
And down will come baby cradle and all

Love the cover and the quote - it's so true

FredaB said...

I really like your word hush and I think this artist project is perfect for you. Very relaxing and getting you away from swing for a bit. We all need a change once in a while.

Hugs

fredaB

Diane said...

Good Morning, Jillayne,

I love this word! It's just what you'd think, a quiet, peaceful sound in itself.

Wishing you a wonderful year's journey of special words.

Hugs, Diane

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
I love the word hush. It sounds so soft and calm. Your book is going to be beautiful. I love the soft colors your have pulled together and I enjoy seeing some gesso on your fingers.It is perfect for you as a true artist. Nice to take a change of pace.
Paint is always on my fingers, in my hair or a dab or two on my face. Not sure how that happens!! LOL

Have fun with your year of words.
Hugs, CM

Alisa Noble said...

I can't wait to see your book evolve. I also love the thought of being rocked by the wind.
Hmm, much like the gentle swing of a hammock... which I attempt to live in when the weather is nice.

Createology said...

Yes the grey is soft like a hush. I agree with the amazing feeling of paint on fingers and the possibilty of being an ARTIST.

Michelle May said...

It's going to be a wonderful book girlfriend. You have so many talents.
Hugs!

Scarlett Clay said...

ooooh, this looks like an incredible project! Your photos are like an invitation :) looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

(found you through Becky's blog)

~Scarlett

Suztats said...

Jillayne, where have I been? I've been missing your posts! I dunno what's happened. Maybe I've been asleep.
I remember this lullaby I learned as a child:
Rock a bye baby, the moon is a cradle
A bright silver cradle, hung up in the sky,
The clouds are the pillows, so soft and so downy,
The bright stars are candles,
Rock a bye bye.