Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Easy On Me


 Finishing up some obligations before I can get to the fun stuff...

fun stuff being new stuff

 

this year, to make it easy on myself, I am teaching one class per month and calling the series 
"The Twelve Months of Christmas"
each project is something with a winter or Christmas theme
and it's easy on me because come November, that will be 11 more things for the Sale


January starts with this wall hanging I designed, "Frosty's Fence"


each fence post has a decoration and as frosty is looking for a snowball fight, three posts have button snowballs perched on top, as well as one in his hand


choosing the fabrics is the most fun part and my reward after the strains of trying to draw what I am thinking (to whoever invented erasers - a big thank you!)

some of you might know my penchant for using the wrong side of fabric as the right side - the sky above is an example of that... well, the buttons on the snowman are wrong side up as well. So often the design qualities from the front come through but the end result is more subdued...


and a stack of snowballs at the ready!

I think I was half-way through and found myself wishing I hadn't made it so "cute" - I had something much grimier in mind, kind of like a Pigpen Snowman if you get my drift...
so I think I will give this another go, and change it up here and there to make something a little rougher around the edges - a little more me...

16 comments:

Marj Talbot said...

How very cute is that? Some folks prefer to machine the edges, but your hand embroidery just adds tons and tons of beauty to it. It's absolutely gorgeous and a great idea for January. Where is the snow though? Great idea for the 12 projects - can't wait to see the rest.

dianehobbit said...

Really lovely! Do you hand or machine stitch the applique?

Bead and Needle said...

Darling, darling! Beautiful work, as always!

Createology said...

The twelve months of Christmas is a wonderful idea. One per month sounds totally doable. Your snowman is super cute with the fence and button snowballs. I can hear the "hush" as he awaits the first throw of the snowball. I was not aware of your subtle use of the wrong side of fabric but it really works well. Winter hugs dear...

Dorthe said...

But he is so sweet -and should not be a grimmie,- :)
I love it dear Jillayne- so many wonderful details, -the fenceposts are so great.
OH it is storming and raining here- and did that for many dayes now :(
Hugs and a happy day to you.
Dorthe

Suztats said...

Oh, I think it's adorable!

Alisa Noble said...

Well, it is cute.
And I'm liking your first word.

Kedith said...

Is there anyway to sign up for your class and participate from a far ????? :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely . . .think I might just signup for your class.
Bugz Bagz

Diane said...

Tea or coffee dyed for grimy? LOL!
Love it!
Diane

MosaicMagpie said...

He is perfect and so, you! I love the stitching.
Deb

Becky Shander said...

Taking it easy sounds good. And I love your clever little button snowballs.

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Love it, Jillayne! What a great piece you've designed and created. I think it looks great as is, but I can picture your vision of a grimier snowman too. Look forward to seeing your "dirtier version" :o)

Michelle May said...

I love it! It's perfect!

yarra valley tours said...

I see the creativeness in every part of your artwork. Just keep it up and share what you have got. ;)

Chiropractor Salt Lake said...

I've looking for some post. . .and this post was exactly in my mind and I believe that this post will help others in our job. Thanks a lot!