Well, it didn't finish quite as planned but I am pleased none the less...
this is the Dresden Plate mini tree skirt from a few posts ago...
Thank heavens it's a perfect fit.
Which is awfully stunning as I hadn't taken any measurements; this didn't start out intended for a tree skirt but I got the idea shortly into the project. I had thought if it didn't fit the tree we had, I would just have to get another.... I wasn't going to go back and re-cut and rework everything
It perfectly covers the tree supports, by about an inch - whew!
The little ring of roses around the centre wasn't intended either but came about because I wasn't happy with the binding.
I tried two different techniques, both of which were not great so finally I decided I would make little fabric roses out of various muslins, linens and silk ribbons and sew them all around the centre.
I love how it looks!
I didn't like the way all the seams looked, so I hand-embroidered a feather stitch along every second one - none was too bare while every seam seemed too much - every other one might be just right (it was a Goldilocks moment).
If you think I should do them all, let me know as I am still undecided...
Before I did that I appliqued the Dresden onto a piece of wool, did the embroidery and then, because the background was wool fabric and not wool felt, I added a backing using a quick-turn method.
It's finished off with a blanket stitch all around the outer edge, done with a slightly darker embroidery thread than that which I used on the seams.
I tried taking some better close ups but nothing turned out - if you click on the pictures you'll see the details better.
So this year, we'll only have to "shop" my fabric cupboard for one tree skirt instead of two!