Friday, December 9, 2011

A Reckoning


I remember that line, or at least, that portion of a line, from Tombstone. The movie about Wyatt Earp starring Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott and Bill Paxton. 
Men in long black coats. 
big guns... 
but I digress...

A reckoning... a time to answer for what you've done and what you've not done...


remember last year when all over blog-land we were all choosing words?

words to inspire, to remind, words to live by?
I had one - Content


"Cheers" looks better to me now though....
  but thankfully most days were happy days

however content I've not been

i feel like i lost my way

forgot who i am


and last night I knew I had to figure it out


and in the quiet darkness between dusk and dawn an idea came, slowly at first, but as I thought about it and "knew" the rightness of it, it burst forth and unfurled like a flower of the desert after the one rainstorm of the year...


one word for one whole year is too limiting... I need action... snap, snap, snap
and so I will choose one word each month and then explore it in paint, and paper and fabric and words


really think on it
both what it does mean, and what it could mean
maybe even what it should mean....

words where the meaning seems clear,
but then we find a murky overlay


i love the idea of this - the concentration of it, and have been mulling over all sorts of possibilities

the words that are coming to mind are a little odd though, even for me

hush
haunted
bewitched
remember

but oh, the possibilities

16 comments:

oldgreymare said...

great idea but I think I need to stick to my one word. all I can handle... :D
This year was BEGIN and boy did I ever...Oh dear what will next year's word be? Glad you reminded me.
Happy Weekend!
xx
z

Bead and Needle said...

Possibilities galore...Happy Saturday, Jillayne XOXO

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

As always Jillayne, your post catches at my heart and fills my mind with the possibilities. As Dr. Seuss said "Oh, the places you'll go!". Can't wait to see where you new journey will take you, watching and reading with anticipation! Have a very Merry Christmas and may the New Year be filled with possibilities! Deb

MosaicMagpie said...

Oh the script you wrote with is beautiful! Any word chosen written in that script would be noteworthy. I am curious about the word haunted you chose. That does not seem like a word for you, but as I reflect back on your posts this year and the visits to the battlefields, I can see you choosing it. Not haunted as a ghost, but haunted as in remembering those that were here before us.
Now, I am thinking of words, can I borrow that pen?
Deb

Marj Talbot said...

Thankfull, remember, love, contentment, solice, - I choose contentment - everything else will fall into place.
Happy weekend!!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
Love this. I would have to select several words.
Balance, time, content, vision, staying power, oh the list might go on!!

Right now I say, coffee~~ I need some this morning. LOL
Hope you are busy and enjoying the season.
Big hugs to you oh talented friend.
XO Celestina Marie

Tina Eudora said...

What a great idea Jillayne, I may have to try that for 2012 and see where it leads me.
I too have been in a state of "flux" for a few years now and need to point myself in a direction and stay the course until I find where I need to be. Have a good one...
Tina xo

Shaista said...

You have just given me my words for the year, or at least for this month while I am in Asia, where it is all haste and bustle...

Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Do you remember what comes next? Beautiful line, and could probably save lives if we all practised it!

Alabaster Rose Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
What a great post!! I think my word is beginnings. It's always about new beginnings and hope for the New Year.
Hope you have a lovely week!
Sincerely,
Melinda

Createology said...

I am finally catching up and your post is perfect for me. I have just spent two weeks being totally unproductive and feeling less than creative. I even tried practicing my calligraphy...but my pens were not working. Your calligraphy is gorgeous! Your pondering words is interesting and I too have been reviewing my 2011 word...NOW. Did I do it justice? Hmmm...maybe more than not. Clarity will definitely come to you my dear. Jingle Bell Hugs...

Laura said...

I like the idea of the word "hush"... to remind you to silence your inner critics and all of the distractions around you (I know you have more than a few!)

Alisa Noble said...

Oh, I love the idea of this too!

(I'll send you an email about my journal.)

Suztats said...

I have chosen a word for 2012, and it is industrious, as I have decided to tackle a few challenges. Your post is timely as we draw to the close of 2011. I shall be eagerly reading as you ponder,post, and provide more fuel for thought and introspection.
Wishing you a joyous Christmas Season, and all the Best for 2012!

Michelle May said...

Sounds like a perfect idea. Looking forward to seeing where your path leads this year.
Hugs!

Maggie said...

Your blog is always an inspiring one......wishing you a wonderful xmas filled with happiness, good health and Love and a very Happy New Year...
hugs
maggie

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Beautiful calligraphy! I need that pen too. Your post is so thought provoking. I think I would need more than one word though. A phrase maybe.