Saturday, November 12, 2011

Printworks

Printworks.

What a great word, full of all sorts of connotations. For a word junkie like me, it simply spells heaven...
I finally got myself an ink-jet printer and have been playing around a bit with image transfers.



 The deer above and below is courtesy of The Graphics Fairy.
I love that it gives a sense of winter even though there is nothing wintry about it,


I paired it with a black and tan check fabric and added some fragments of antique lace - the bag is made of a linen/cotton blend. The black squares in the corners are actually brads and are way easier to add than buttons.

Continuing on with the "Printworks" theme, the above stocking features stamped fabric on the back


and a stamped word on the front. 
I have a full set of the alphabet in stamps - seemed like a good idea at the time, but lining up the letters is not as easy as I thought it would be! I think I stamped "joy" about 10 times before I finally figured it all out. By that time, I was getting pretty cranky and thinking I needed a new word.... but four letters would likely be even more challenging.... joy it was...


black ribbon and a little sparkly bling finish it off. 
I thought that the stamped script side would be the front but when I tried attaching the bow etc., I didn't like how it looked. So the backside became the front side....fluid designing I guess...

I read something the other day that seemed as though it was written just for me.

"As an artist, I am 'imagination led' rather than 'design led'. Invariably I make no formal plans identifying a finished piece; my work evolves rather than resolving to a plan."
-Jan Hall, Fibre Artist

I felt so much better about how I work after reading this. I have always thought true artists have a vision and work toward it, and that they always achieve that vision perfectly. That has not happened for me - at least not often, and consequently I have never thought of myself as an artist. I think now I might have some re-thinking to do...

16 comments:

Becca said...

Jillayne, I think of you as a fiber artist. Your work is so inspiring to me. I love your holiday pieces! I love to print on muslin have you tried that with your new printer yet?

FlowerLady said...

You are truly an artist, creating from your heart.

I need to read up on printing on fabric with my computer.

FlowerLady

Marty's Fiber Musings said...

Oh, how wonderful....love your printworks! Becca is right....iron your muslin on freezer paper, trim to 8 1/2" x 11", insert in printer paper slot (correct orientation) and press print...viola!

Suztats said...

Love your printworks, Jillayne.
I have always thought that an artist's work flows from the initial concept to the completed piece evolving as it grows.
I have had successful paintings beginning without an idea, but just letting the paint happen. Trying to create a finished piece with a full-blown step by step plan usually results in a failed piece, for me. I think the creativity must be given room in which to blossom.
You are a wonderful artist.

oldgreymare said...

After years of misaligned stamps I switched to the silicone or acrylic alphabet ones that I can line up on a pre- gridded base for accurate spacing ! YOWZA!

No more slanting up and down hill :D

and much less cussing

love the stockings <3
xx
z

Bead and Needle said...

LOVE the reindeer - LOVE that quote - Happy Saturday, you Printwork Artisan, you!

Createology said...

This quote has such a great message to many of us. Your bag and stocking are both simple elegance. How fun to find a new avenue to your creativity. Blissful inspirations...

Diane said...

So lovely, Jillayne! I bet your new printer is just going to be chugging away! :-)

Hugs, Diane

The French Bear said...

Gorgeous, you are always doing something so beautiful it inspires me!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B
xx

Marj Talbot said...

Truly inspirational for sure. I feel almost "down" looking at your creations, but once this chapter in our lives is done and my sewing room is once again operational, I will have many more ideas thanks to your blog.
Thanks for sharing the lovely bag and stocking. They're gorgeous.

Shaista said...

Thankyou for your lovely comment on my blog, and for guiding me here to all this clever beauty and magic. How lucky your friends and family are to see this magic unfold everyday!
I do like your Projects Started vs Projects Finished list ;)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

The reindeer and sweet stocking are such beautiful creations.
I always love to see what wonderful work you are doing.
That quote is lovely too.

Happy new week
Hugs
Carolyn

Becky Shander said...

These creations are all up my alley...I love the style of them. And the word you chose, "joy" is perfect too...it makes me think of cheerful, deep-rooted love.

Michelle May said...

Love them! You will have so much fun printing things. Hmmm...I think I have something to send you that you would love. :)
xx

Wendy said...

Oh how lovely, that script stocking is just wonderful, I love script prints so to be able to do your own is great.

And yes, there is no doubt, you are an artist

Dorthe said...

Beautiful, Jillayne- love the rheindeer on your lovely bag- and your sweet socks- and what goes for plans and creating- I also never know how the finished piece will look, when I start it.