Sunday, October 16, 2011

Decisions

My head is swimming these days, with one decision after another. 
One thing I have learned though, is that with all of that, comes clarity.... that figuring out of what you really want, and what you don't, that helps make all the rest fall by the wayside....
 I almost have my work-life sorted out, I do have my sewing room sorted out, my closet is almost there, jewelery box is done - so many decisions ....  maybe you can help with this latest one....


I'm making a runner, and in my mind's eye so far, is a base of taupe linen, sewn into a simple rectangle. The ends will have a short, hemmed ruffle and the runner will be embellished with either rosettes as shown above, or


gathered ruffles stretching from side to side, spaced about 10 " apart 


Part of me thinks the straight across the width idea is the best as you can still place things on the runner easily enough, whereas if I do the rosettes,  they could be in the way of candlesticks and centerpieces and such. I could strategically place the rosettes but then they wouldn't look random, which is what I wanted ... and so it goes.... a day in the life of my head...

tell me what you think?

I've updated my sidebar a bit with some new blogs etc.  and I want to do a new header but haven't been able to decide on that either. Getting ready for the Sale has made it hard to keep track of projects and fabric etc. and what with all the company we've had, Yoga has gone out the window. I need to be home alone for that, which rarely happens anymore so I have taken to walking again. I go after it gets dark, when the world becomes much smaller and the sky grows bigger and my thoughts flow freely with the rhythm of my footsteps.

and I think decisions come easier then too!

16 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Jillayne:
I love the idea of the ruffle on your table runner. The color is beautiful, too! Can't wait to see what you come up with for a new blog header. I just changed mine for the season, too. It's so hard to get into an autumnal mood when it still gets into the 80s during the day!
Hope you have a wonderful week.
xoxo
Donna

Suztats said...

I always find that going for a walk allows me some needed thinking time. I wonder if it's the fresh air, the rhythmic steps, or just being in a different setting and getting oxygen flowing.
Wishing you easy decisions, and a joyous walk. ( I don't walk at night here....too afraid of meeting a bear, or a skunk!)

Bead and Needle said...

I love rosettes, but am WAY partial to ruffles on anything...I have been beading tintypes into necklaces for an upcoming show, and am even beading "ruffles" onto each pieces.

I'm sure whichever way you decide to go, it will be exquisite, Jillayne! Have a great week - Tanya

Robin said...

I like your idea of the long ruffles so that you don't have to consider the rosette placement. So glad you are enjoying your walks in the dark. I'd be too scared! Have a great week.

Hugs,
Robin

Becca said...

I've been wanting to make a table runner. I like the idea of the ruffles. Sounds pretty!

Marj Talbot said...

How about cross corner?

I'm sure you'll do it right all things considered.

I too would not walk at night - scaredy cat.

Diane said...

Jillayne, love the ruffle AND the rosettes...maybe just one small rosette in opposite corners next to the ruffle? That leaves the center free to place objects d'art....

:-) Diane

Tina Eudora said...

What a great project Jillayne and I have to say I would go with the ruffles and maybe add a lkittle cluster of rosettes on a corner kind of like a bouquet. Maybe have the best of both worlds?
I am sure whatever you choose it will look perfect!
Tina xo

MosaicMagpie said...

Oh the rythmn of walking...it does something for the soul, doesn't it?
I always am a happier person when I am on a walking regime. It does allow your thoughts to run free.
The rosettes would be a nice touch. What about making some that are not attached to the runner? You could then place them wherever there is space or even tuck them into the centerpiece to coordinate the table. A small one at each place setting would be good for formal placecards. Do people even do placecards anymore. I turned my dining room into a sun/sitting room, so I don't have such dilemas!
Deb

Dorthe said...

Hi Jillayne-
I love the idea of the rosettes- -- I see what you mean...but it would be so beautiful!
I am so bussy here, so I also gave up my walking-very stupid --I know-- and I looks pale and as if I did not get sun all the summer--I DIDN`T as a matter of fact!!
Hope you get yours tonight, smiles-
Hugs from ,Dorthe

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Ah, lovely and elegant as always Jillayne! I love the ruffles but perhaps a rosette at each end as well so the center of your runner would be clear for your table settings? Whatever you decide on your nightly walks beside your lovely lake will be perfect, I know! Thanks as always for sharing, Deb

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

Love the linen and colour, yes, the ruffles will probably be better than rosettes and then you will be able to place things on it.
I look forward to seeing the finished runner and your new look to your blog.
I enjoy walking too, but I often do mine, early in the morning.

Hope that you are enjoying your week
Hugs
Carolyn

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh this is going to be gorgeous. I love the soft taupe color. I agree with Diane, place a rosette at opposite ends. I know whatever you decide it will be gorgeous.

Sounds like you have got a lot in order. You are better then I am at this point with my holiday rush already. I dream of cleaning out closets, drawers, cupboards. Oh don't even mention jewel box cleaning!! LOL

Love your wall of windows and gorgeous curtian panels. Wonderful.

Thank you for stopping by my friend. I have been thinking of you and trying to get by. Time is so precious and I need more of it. LOL~~~
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I think the rosettes would be so pretty and add such pretty texture. I can also see a pillow made from this....oops one more thing you could make. ;)
You know I can relate to all the decision making. Oye!
xx, shell

Createology said...

Yes, your runner will be very elegant in the taupe linen. Your ruffles at each end are perfect. I really like Deb of Mosaic Magpie's idea of making the rosettes separately and placing them each time where they do not interfere. Great minds with wonderful ideas are in this blog community. Please be safe on your dark walks...

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I love the idea of the rosettes, mainly cause it's a different look and their beautiful! I know it may get in the way of tablescaping, but maybe you could sort of incorporate them into whatever arrangement you create. That bottom photo of your ruffle reminds of yummy chocolate buttercream piped with a star tip on top of a cupcake! Can't wait to see what you decide ~ I'm sure it will be gorgeous either way!