Monday, September 26, 2011

Piece By Piece


 When I was a little girl I loved to read. 
I read anything, from Old English literature to Early American... I even read milk cartons if they stood still long enough...
I loved stories like Blue Willow, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, and of course, all of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books.
I traipsed alongside all of them, through the prairies and the shanty towns and when the girls pulled out their piecing bags to work on their patchwork or handmade lace, I was wishing I could sew too...


i wanted a piecework bag in the worst way, even though I had no idea what one looked like. Or a work basket; I could just see it filled with bits of thread wound round wooden spools, silver bird scissors, a thimble, wooden darning eggs and scraps of flannel and plaid... I still want one.... still have to find a darning egg...

Today I was tidying in my sewing room after finishing up the invitations for November's Sale. 
I wanted to keep everything for making the Wishing Stars together so it would be at hand to make the Stars for all of you who so kindly left me a word that you thought signified something worthy of wishing for...


lots of bits and pieces and much easier to keep together than to try to remember everything I used, never mind trying to remember where the heck I put it all!
I found some plain muslin (in keeping with history) and sewed a simple bag; no casing for the ribbon, it's just tacked on at the seam with a very old button

 

 did a bit of decorative machine stitching at the top edge


found some of my very favourite decorative cord to tie the tag on with



and it's all done!

Labeled simply with a tea-dyed manila tag, everything I need to make my little stars is all there in that bag. I will make a proper place to hang it from as I can see several more of these in my future, but for now, the dresser drawer knob works just fine. As they are only labeled with removable tags, it will be easy to change the contents as projects come and go...


These little stars are just so darn cute though, I think they may be on my stitching list for a long time to come....
I am only to up to about 11, so if you would like one, and haven't left me a word, please do so...

In the meanwhile, I 'm thinking up new projects, and of course, piecing bags to corral them all in...

18 comments:

oldgreymare said...

"seams" like you and I are in the studio a lot lately. Wonderful place to be :D
xx
z

Robin said...

What a cute bag! That decorative stitching at the top looks fabulous!! Have a great week.

Hugs,
Robin

Tina @ TinyBear said...

Such a great idea Jillayne. The bag is so pretty. Love the machine embroidered border on top. Perfect for so many uses.
Have a wonderful day.
xo Tina

Barbara Jean said...

so sweet!!

blessings
barbra jean

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, It was so enjoyable reading how you put your bag together, The wishing stars are so cute. I am catching up on some reading before I go to work. I don't usually have much time, but woke up early for some reason and couldn't go back to sleep. I hope you have a wonderful day. I wish I had more hours in a day to do all of the fun things I would like to do. Take care. Your Missouri Friend.

Marj Talbot said...

The bag is a great idea and it turned out very nice. I can imagine a row of them hanging in your studio. hmmmmmmmmmm just wonder their size and colour.
Thanks for sharing.

Suztats said...

I love your piecing bag, Jillayne! You've waited quite a while for one, but you made it unique! I can just see a distressed wooden board on the wall with a row of hooks, each one holding another piecing bag you've created. Much more decorative than my plastic project totes!

Kiki said...

Jill; I just HAD to click on your name on Corey's blog - I so loved your key story. And now I'm blown away with your beautiful sewing blog.... Oh, I wish I had the time to visit all of you wonderful people regularly....
This is such a great series of photos too, not only your work but the lovely texts, the fine Papyrus type style (which is one of my preferred ones ever!).... the soft colours - I love it!

Diane said...

Jillayne, what an inventive way to attach the ribbon for tying the top of the bag closed! And the decorative stitching on the top gives it a nice touch.

Happy star stitching today!

Hugs, Diane

The English Romantic said...

I love your little piecework bag. I made some for my friend and her Mum many years ago and had forgotten until now.
Thanks for jogging my memory.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Hugs, Angela.

Dorthe said...

Hi dear,-I alwayes loved reading the books from Laura Ingalls Wilder- and still do--and reading your post today, send many,many beautiful images through my mind- seing those scenes for my inner eye-that you descripe-- and I love what came from your own imagination-the piecework bag, is so simple-and beautiful- love it Jillayne.
Hugs,Dorthe

Createology said...

Your little muslin simple bag of wishing stars is precious. How fun that you kept in mind your love of what you read and wished for many years ago. The decorative stitching is the unexpected that speaks to our modern times of machines with fancy stitches. I adore your little bag idea...

Cheryl said...

Wow, simple and beautiful, what a wonderful idea, I love it. I love the tag and star. If only you had know it was so simple for ever ago you could have had a whole bunch of them for every project imaginable. I really love it!

MosaicMagpie said...

I go out of town and look what I miss! I love the little project bag. What a great idea to make a tag to remember what is on the inside. That star is beautiful and you know I want one. I will send you a darning egg in exchange. I had one on display in my sewing room and just today I put it in a drawer. It should not be in a drawer and since you want one, it is yours. I think I have your address but in case I don't please email me.
Deb

FredaB said...

Hi Jillayne

Great little bag and I too have an extra egg I would be happy to send you. If you need another after you get Maggies let me know.

I too read all those stories growing up - the library has always been the best thing in my life. I always wonder why more people don't take advantage of them and on top of it they are all free.

Hugs

FredaB

MaygreenFairies said...

What a pretty project. Thanks for sharing. x

Maggie said...

For some reason my first message would not go through. Your little bags with the star on the side is so cute....Saw it up close at the demo and you always amaze me of the beautiful work you do. I have learned so much from you since taking the class on the Victorian Stocking. I never used to do to much embroidery if any and now I find myself embroidering and embellishing every thing I make. Thank you so much for the inspiration...looking forward to another class at the end of this month.
hugs
Maggie

mckinney37397 said...

love your bag and the little wishing stars-great idea