Thursday, September 29, 2011

My New Mantra

If working out complex problems helps keep your brain young, would you get the same benefits if you just take a simple problem and make it hard?

If so, I am on my way to brilliancy....

I decided I was tired of having bare windows in my sewing room; in actual fact I decided that a long time ago but only last week did I figure out what to do about it. I am blessed with a large corner window which lets in a ton of fabulous light. In the summer it can get pretty hot, and in the winter I was in a fishbowl if I wanted to work at night.


I wanted something that could let light in a little, a lot, or none at all... and I like things that are different.... so I decided to double the fun and put rods up at the top and bottom of the windows and have curtains that are "attached" at both ends. 
To let in the light I would cinch them in the center, and to block it, I would leave them flat....great idea - now to figure it out....
"Measure twice, cut once"  blah, blah, bleah


I measured from the top rod to the bottom rod, added 1 1/2" for the rod pocket,  1 1/2" for the ruffly part, doubled it for the top and bottom, doubled that for the fold-over, and added 1/2" twice for turning under the raw edges....checked my figures twice... and cut one piece of fabric to test it. 
I know me, and I know me and math.
Sewed one end - lovely! Slid on the rod in a perfect fit.
Measured to ensure the same numbers would work at the other end - nope. Three inches short...

Apparently my cutting board is 36", not 39"....

I finally got one done, put it on the rods, up on the brackets and it was perfect fit. Whew! 

I tested the cinching with a piece of twine to make sure it would work and it was then I realized they were going to need to be scrinched together a lot more at the top and bottom in order to cinch them in the middle. So, I went from thinking I would make five to knowing I would have to make seven...

Three hours later, they were done and hung, and all I have to do now is make the fabric bands that I'll use to cinch them around the middle. I'll use velcro for fasteners, but I'm truly not up to figuring out how big they need to be until next week sometime.....


The only downside is I've lost the use of the windowsill for storage and display so I spent a few happy hours this afternoon reorganizing things.... I found these pretty magnetic stars and while I was wondering where I should put them, I saw my lamp... and well, I wondered...


They were meant to be used in some collage or other but now I'm thinking I like them right where they are....

Even though I had all sorts of fun with the math for this project, I can't say I really learned a lot... it was frustrating, but I stuck with it... I just found myself muttering a line from one of Clint Eastwood's movies, over and over,

"A man's got to know his limitations!"

That might just prove to be a better mantra for me than "Measure twice, cut once".

20 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Those curtains are wonderful. Measure twice cut once, for sure and we definitely have to know our limitations and when to quit. You did a great job in a short period of time. That would have been an all day project for me.

Those magnetic stars are nice and a nice addition to winter holiday decorating.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Robin said...

They look fabulous Jillayne! You did a wonderful job, and have great patience to work through any issues that may have come up! Now you can sit back and enjoy them!! Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Robin

Diane said...

Jillayne, I'm going to start writing to you as "Dear Norm Abrams". I don't know if you get "This Old House" up there in Canada or not, but he's the carpenter with the "measure twice, cut once" mantra! LOL! I think you two have a lot in common, including expertise in what you're doing! You do it well! They look lovely!

Hugs, Diane

Laura said...

Haha! I love it!! They look very elegant and much classier than the previous window decor...

Bead and Needle said...

A man's gotta' know his limitations! I made those exact curtains for a friend's window, yearrrrrrrrrrrs ago...had the same problem...measure twice, cut once! Looks beautiful, Jillayne - wish I had that window space in my work room! Happy Friday - Tanya

oldgreymare said...

hahahah All I could think was if it had been me, the words I would have been muttering, Ok Screaming would have been unprintable.
Kudos to you for sticking to it...Now that I know Tanya does this?.... Oh Tanya, could you please....... lol

xx
z

Createology said...

Your room is wonderful with these large windows. I love your new curtains and how you will cinch them in the middle based on light and temps. Ah yes...measure twice and cut once! We all know that but sometimes it still happens. Your resolve is brilliant and you definitely have reached brilliancy! Wonderful September surrenders to October weekend...

Alisa said...

LOL... well they turned out fantastic.

Thank you for your warm words on my MIL posts.

Cheryl said...

What a grand job you have done. That window could'nt have had any other type of curtain, such a good idea, well done

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Well all your hard worked paid off. They look fabulous! I truly despise sewing curtains. Ick.
xx, shell

The French Bear said...

I agree with Shell, they look gorgeous!!! Good for you, I am slowly getting back into the sewing mode...maybe some new curtains would help.
Hugs,
Mags
xx

Marj Talbot said...

Great job and in such a short peiod of time. I agree to measure twice and cut once but sometimes it's measure twice, re-figure - measure again and eventually hold your breath and cut. Great job!!

MosaicMagpie said...

Sorry to be so long in reading your post. I have been out of town. What a great looking bunch of curtains! I love the black hardware you used. I too put a lot of things on my windowsills so I would have the same problem finding a new home for everything. The stars look like they belong right on that lamp!
Deb

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

Your new curtains look perfect in your workroom and well done for working it all out.
Oh yes, the measure twice, cut once sometimes catches me out.

Hope that you are having a lovely week
Hugs
Carolyn

Becky Shander said...

You sure are determined...great job!

FredaB said...

Hi Jillayne

The curtains look great and have you thought of just tying them with some ribbon - maybe grosgrain.
I have used this on that type of curtain.

I also like the lamp very pretty and the stars had caught my eye before I even read what you wrote about them. We need all the bling in our lives to help pep us up.

Hugs

FredaB

Dorthe said...

Hi my dear Jillayne- how did I miss your post here, I don`t know..maybe because I was away...well I thankfully found it today- and have to tell you ,how gorgeous they looks.Must have been a lot of work, but you mastered it.
I also think the stars on your lamp, looks like they have been there alwayes- makes it very elegant.
How are you this week-end? I`M so bussy with christmas sewings to my shop:)
Hugs,Dorthe

Becca said...

Nice! Your curtains look great in your sewing room! I can't imagine taking on a project like that. You did a fantastic job Jillayne, and I love your lamp with the embellishments.

Monica said...

Really wonderful! You did a great job, Jillayne. I love the embellished lamp too.
Hugs,
Monica x

Lilla Kullan said...

Nice.:-) Stina