Monday, August 1, 2011

Summer School

One of my favourite inspiration bloggers is Alisa at Life Is A Beautiful Place To Be.
She writes beautifully and creates amazing things which she blogs about - thank goodness! 
Seeing her inspiring work always makes me want to get busy.
Lately Alisa has been blogging about Full Tilt Boogie, a book binding course she has been taking for the past few weeks.

 

I have taken a couple of bookbinding courses myself, but they weren't as free-wheelin' as Full Tilt Boogie seemed to be. So, I checked it out, signed up and am having a blast!


 My sewing room, which I completely re-arranged after Where Bloggers Create is now a disaster...

 

Full Tilt Boogie teaches three different journals - I am on the first one...except I am making four.
Yep, four. Maybe more.
I can't get on to the Week 2 Journal unless I quit making the journal from Week 1 ..... but they're just so doggone much fun!


I have signatures all over the place, some clamped, others glued and sewn, some just put together but not attached, and a great, heapin' pile of cut of card stock and paper just waiting...

 

This is the first one-almost-finished... pink linen, vintage lace from France and a button from my favourite antique store that-used-to-be-in-Enderby, B.C.
 

I love the open spine detail - I used waxed pink linen to stitch the signatures - not my favourite thread but love the look!

 
The tapes are heavy satin with lace on top and I machine stitched them all together
I have no ephemera at all so used card stock and watercolour paper to make the signatures - I am bound, bent and determined not to buy anything!!

I did have one old music book so I photocopied some pages on to card stock - love that!

and to primp up the inside I glued lace and trims from my trip to France on the inside covers - something old, something new...


I also used some wallpaper samples fro the inside cover as they had such beautiful texture (and I'm not a fan of wallpaper!)


So I still have a blue one and a Christmas one that together with this pink one will be for my Sale, a retro one with a burlap cover I'm making for myself and then another one for my five year old niece who is coming to visit. She loves to paint and is awfully good at it so I'm thinking a journal of her own, all bound, and primed with gesso might be just the thing...


I'm a little hesitant to look at the videos for Week 2 - after seeing what I got into after Week 1.
No wonder the class is called "Full Tilt Boogie"!

12 comments:

Marj Talbot said...

What a gorgeous journal - puts all of mine to shame. I love the idea of copying music pages - lots of that around here.
Way to go - beautifull.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

Oh my what a beautiful Journal you have created and I love the pink fabric,the French lace, trims and the antique button.
You have been really busy and looks like it has been a fun project.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

oldgreymare said...

Looks and sounds like fun. You are obviously having a blast and they are coming out with great flair!
expanding your horizons is always a plus too. :D
xxx
z

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

LOVE how much fun you are having, what a beautiful journal! Can't wait to see what you boogie on in with next and off to check out Alisa's blog, thanks for the link Jillayne.

Tina @ TinyBear said...

Your first journal is beautiful Jillayne. I love the soft colors and your signatures are from so pretty papers. Wish I could find more of that over here.
Thanks for sharing and can´t wait to see the rest.
xo Tina

Wendy said...

Your journal is gorgeous, I love the spine and the way you sewed it up. I don't really know much about bookbinding but it looks like fun

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Oh how cool is that! I took a class a few years ago and loved it! This is gorgeous girlfriend!
xx, shell

MosaicMagpie said...

Don't you love that feeling of "Wow this is great!" It is so much fun to discover and learn something new. Your enthusiasm is contagious and that is a wonderful thing for others to catch. The journals are great and I can just imagine what that beautiful room looks like! Love the sheet music pages.
Deb

Alisa Noble said...

Yay!
Gorgeous work, Jillyane!!!
I finally stopped working in Journal 1 and watched the videos for the second journal... I've made 3 of the journal 2.

Createology said...

Hi Jillayne: Your journals are amazing. The finished pink linen with French lace is breathtaking. I follow Mary Ann Moss and just love her. How fun that you are taking her "Full Tilt Boogie" class. She really has a zest for life! One of these days I want to take a class from her. Her style is so free. Keep making your journals my dear...Smiles to you...

Diane said...

Wow! Wow! Wow!!!! You are going at this in a completely fabulous way, Jillayne!!! Gorgeous! And neat as a pin! Striking!

Hugs, Diane

Dorthe said...

How very beautiful, it is Jillayne- the soft rosa linnen looks so pretty and I love the open spine ,and the signatures stitched together with the pink thread- looks gorgeus to me, dear.
I admire that you are doing so many in one time, and can`t wait to see the others once finished- I wish you happy hours creating .
Hugs-Dorthe