Friday, August 26, 2011

A New Day?

Busy, busy days, filled with family and fun.
And pride....
Last weekend we were in Kelowna, cheering our son on as he ran a great race in what is considered to be Canada's National Triathlon.

 

The story really begins here though, a few years back, right here in Salmon Arm when he raced in his very first triathlon. 
The photo below is him coming in to the bay to the finish line (it's a bike, run, kayak triathlon), and he was the only person that raced that was not part of a team; he did all three legs himself.
So proud...


 We had no idea then that this thing would get a hold of him, fascinate him and propel him into a new world, but it has.
And it has taken all of us along with him.


Somewhere in that group he is waiting for the start...


here he is just coming out of the water...

(you really need to click on the pictures to see them better, but here is again, running up for his bike


coming in to the corner on the first bike

and running to the finish!

 What a great day, to see your child do something that matters so very much to them, to be a part of that which grabs them...

When he came out of the water there was a girl standing not far from me cheering him on - and I had no idea who she was. She was talking excitedly to a man near her and I asked if they knew Doug.
"We're his coaches!" they said at once, "and he shaved two minutes off his swim time!"
And I got to say "I'm his mom!"
So proud...

In early July his dad and sister went to see him race the Alberta Provincial Triathlon in Canmore, where he won 1st Place for his age group!  You can see pics and read all about here on my daughter's blog, where she writes beautifully of that day.

And in June, he and his sister ran a 10k run in Penticton that she blogged about here.
If you read nothing else, read that - it's the most amazing tribute from a sister to her brother and yes indeed, as she said, we had many, many tears.


These two amaze me, more and more every day, love without end...

And so I decided my kids should have a day, like Mother's Day and Father's Day... where they are honoured for what they bring to my life. 
I think the last Sunday of August will be a perfect choice for the new "Day" in our family story.

And I think since they will be both be home this weekend, I may just start their "Day" with serving them breakfast in bed!

14 comments:

oldgreymare said...

Got me all misty eyed<3 <3
Jillayne, how wonderful!

xx
z

Appleshoe said...

What a beautiful tribute from a mother to her children. Oldgreymare, I am misty eyed as well. Take care.

Marj Talbot said...

Great story indeed. I think you have a wonderfull idea - kids day or family day. That's something everyone should give consideration to and set the date.
I hope you have a good one with your family. We often take for granted the ones we love the most. This is a great way to show appreciation and caring for each other.

Diane said...

I agree, Jillayne, your two wonderful children deserve a Kids' Day!

Hugs, Diane

Suztats said...

Happy Kid's Day! Hope it's a wonderful celebration of family pride, love and support.

Robin said...

Great family and wonderful kiddos! Enjoy celebrating them!!

Hugs,
Robin

dianehobbit said...

A lovely idea.

Becca said...

What a wonderful story Jillayne! I've always admired people that could do triathlons...such strength and perseverance! Enjoy your weekend with them. :-)

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
What a wonderful post your tribute to your amazing children.
Love the pics. Breakfast in bed will be a special treat for them.
Love your scarf too. You are talented beyond words my friend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Createology said...

This is a truly lovely tribute to your children. Such a huge accomplishment for each of them. I can hear in your words how very proud of them you are. Making an annual special day to celebrate your wonderful children is a superb idea. Blissful week dear...

FredaB said...

You have two very neat children. How proud you must be of them. Also two good looking kids. Must take after their Mom.

It is so nice to read about the good things young people are into instead of all the bad we hear about every day.

Hugs

FredaB

Bead and Needle said...

WOW, what an accomplishment!!! I remember reading your daughter's post about the 10K, too...you have every right to be proud, Mom. And, I have a 22 year old single daughter, in case you're interested, for him! :-) Happy Monday, Jillayne...Tanya

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
How could you not be proud, -what a fantastic thing to do, I so admire people whom is really making it possibly for them self to be in a big triatlon-
And they both looks so beautiful-
Hugs, from me.
Dorthe

kimberly said...

I am so glad you posted this, as my sweet friend Lorraine participated as well and I am in awe of those who can do it! Great photos~
xx