Friday, August 19, 2011

43 Years In The Making


 Well sort of, but not quite... not really, but kind of...

When I was 7 years old I learned my first grown-up craft - my Mom taught me to knit. I remember it well, the needles were green and the yarn was a deep plum. Quite the visual combination.

I decided I was going to make a scarf for Santa Claus; it was early September and I would have lots of time to get it done. I think I got thirteen rows finished before I dropped my first stitch and took it all apart in frustration. Shortly past that point on the second go-round I realized my scarf was getting narrower; that was when I learned about "knit two together". Out it came again.

I kept trying but after many holes and widenings and narrowings I finally gave up - it was mid November and I knew I wouldn't finish it in time for Christmas Eve. Over the next few years I would come across that ball of yarn and the green needles and give it another go, but it always ended in failure.
 One day, when I was about fifteen, I realized that yarn was so frazzled it wasn't good for anything so I pitched it.

I have knitted a few sweaters over the years but never a scarf. 
Last week I decided it was time...


And two nights ago I finished it. 
This one isn't for Santa, it's all mine and now I'm kind of excited for Fall. 
It's fun and bright,


and I couldn't help but add the saucy little ruffle to the ends. 


it will go with all my coats and jackets...


and there's no fear of losing me in a crowd!

So while it isn't the same purple scarf I attempted all those years ago, and I made it with lovely, smooth bamboo needles instead of the bilious green ones, I finally did knit a scarf!


13 comments:

MosaicMagpie said...

It is great that you did not give up. The yarn though frazzeled was still calling your name. Isn't it funny how one error in a project and we will rip it all out. Instead of realizing it is a learning experience and continuing on. Wonder if God ever thinks about ripping a few rows out on us?
Deb

oldgreymare said...

WOOT!
Remember my unfinished sock on my studio wall? we all have our lessons learned..lol
xx
z
pretty BTW :D

Suztats said...

I love your saucy ruffle! Congrats on finishing your first scarf.

dianehobbit said...

Love the title of your blog, I really thought you were finishing a UFO after all that time. Just for a second I felt less guilty about my box of projects that need completing.A lovely scarf, for the winter.

Dorthe said...

LOVE it Jillayne- love all the colours and the sweet narrow stripes and ruffled ends--I`m also to colours when autumn and winter arrives.
I`m not much of a knitter, take far tooooooo long time for me :) so the joke here is that I alwayes started beautiful sweaters for Nadja when she was a kid- but never finished them.
---Thanks for the memmoryes---
and happy week-end, dear.

Sandy said...

That is a delightful scarf. I love the finish trim.

Marj Talbot said...

Congrats on the completion of your scarf. Too bad you didn't use the original yarn - that would be too funny.
When I was growing up we used to knit gloves with all those thin needles poking around. Thank goodness we finished them - I'd never get through one now for sure.
Good on you for not giving up, and thanks for sharing.

Createology said...

Your scarf is lovely. I love that you kept on trying and as the saying goes, "It takes as long as it takes!" Well done and now you shall wear it with pride. Wondrous week ahead dear...

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I love it! Good for you girlfriend!
xx, shell

Becca said...

So pretty Jillayne! I love the colors! Wish I could add knitting to my list, but I think I already have my plate full right now. LOL someday. :-)

FredaB said...

Great colours in this scarf and the ruffles on the ends are really cute.

You made up for lost time.

Hugs

FredaB

Diane said...

I love it, Jillayne! About all I've ever knitted is scarves. I can't do gauge correctly to save my life, so sweaters (besides the TIME they take) will never be on my radar. lol

Love the colors in yours!!
Hugs, Diane

Bead and Needle said...

It's PERFECT! I love knitting...especially in the winter months, in the evenings. Something so comforting about that yarn and those smooth bamboo needles in my hands! Happy Thursday, Jillayne - you're going to look FABULOUS!