Sunday, July 3, 2011

Clearing My Head

When I get an idea, it tends to swiftly be followed by several more; thoughts tumbling, images flashing through my mind, all happening faster than my fingers can stitch or write.

That certainly happened last week after posting the angel postcard and today I finished the first of what I hope will be many variations on a theme...



I thought of angel wing ornaments: beaded, embroidered, lacey, and all manner of finery, tiny details. 
This first one is simple; beaded and embroidered, with a rolled fabric rose.

 

I tried beading the rose - too much bead work... rip...
a roundel with a bead, in the centre - too small...rip...
a heart shaped button - again, too small...rip...
a gold button - wrong colour...rip...
and finally, this pin - just right...


Now that the first one is out of my head I think I have a clearer picture of what I want them to look like, or maybe, it's really a clearer picture of what I don't want them to look like. This one is fine, but not exactly the look I was going for - not quite "me".

I want them to be a little rougher around the edges (they are wings after all), a little less bling, a little more natural; wings that could carry away all manner of sorrow and wings that would cradle softly...

9 comments:

Dorthe said...

How beautiful sweet Jillayne- your wings and your thoughts, --they may not be exatly you- but they are gorgeus, and so ,so, beautiful.
I will love to follow your way of creating more, and other kind of fantastic wings, to comfort and to hold.
Warm thoughts,
Dorthe

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Beautiful and elegant just like you Jillayne. I can't wait to see how your lovely angel wings evolve and when you have perfected them I would love to give them to my Mom, to embrace and protect her. Hope you'll have them at your Etsy shop, they are wonderful! Deb

Robin said...

Your wings may not be exactly what you had in mind, but they are dreamy! Have a wonderful day.

Hugs,
Robin

Becca said...

Beautiful angel wings Jillayne!

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I think they are beautiful girlfriend!
xx, shell

Lynn Stevens said...

Just stunning!!!! I Love the entire idea of the angel wings, I can't wait to see more. You just may have started a new craze!!!
Your heart made from sticks is so inspirational as well, who would have thought to fashion a heart from sticks! A can see a mini one as a pin!
Just darling!!!!
hugs Lynn

Suztats said...

Don't we all need angel wings to lift us up, to guard and guide us, to comfort with their presence? I can see them made into a pin to wear over one's heart, as a decoration on a special bag, or as a wonderful gift tag.
Your angel wings are lovely, Jillayne, and I look forward to seeing the perfected version. Wouldn't they be gorgeous gracing a Christmas tree?

MosaicMagpie said...

These wings will be wonderful for so many occasions! Wings, so they can fly! For graduation. So fresh from the wings of Angel. For a birth. And finally, Into the wings, that will carry him home.
Deb

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hi Jillayne, Your angel wings are beautiful even if you had a different look in mind. They are very elegant but I can imagine a version with rough edges being very pretty too.
xoxo,
Julia