Saturday, July 9, 2011

Better All Around

After posting about my first attempt at an angel wing ornament, I mulled over how it was I missed the mark - if I wanted it shabby, why didn't I make it shabby?
Seems like a simple question but the design path I trod is a bumpy one, full of forks and branches and one wrong turn only leads to more.
Today I stuck to my plan, always keeping my mind's eye on the final destination.

 And that extra little bit of focus made all the difference!
This version is much, much closer to what I had in mind - a little glimmer from the beads, combined with some feathery stitches


raggedy edges and simple quilting


a cluster of roses fashioned from torn muslin


tiny stitched stars


 a little detail, but not too much

But since I seem to live a little bit in The Land of Never Quite Satisfied, I'm thinking they're a bit big - I want something a little smaller, a little fuller... it seems there will always be something!

And speaking of better, thank you all so very much for your well wishes for Josie. 
We have a new vet helping us out and they have put her on a course of IV therapy which has helped immensely. She is getting back to her old self, and yesterday I caught her making off with one of my quilted yoyos; they're her favourite toy, and it's wonderful to see her playing again. We know it's not a cure, but for now, she's happy and so are we!


10 comments:

Tess said...

The angel wings are lovely. I;m glad your Josie is feeling better.

Laura said...

Now you just need to fasten those little wings to Josie's back :-) You guys are the greatest nurses ever - I'm so happy for you and my little pirate!!

Robin said...

Love the stitching and roses on your wings.....they turned out beautifully! Glad to hear Josie is feeling better too. Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Robin

Marj Talbot said...

Right on Josie - you go girl.

Oh yes, nice wings. They were just what Josie needed.

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Ok...so I really love the raggedy edges of the winds. Yep, I do. Are you going to stuff them next? Might be kinda cool.
Glad the sweet Josie is doing better. Glad for good vets. :)
xx, shell

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

I love your sweet Angel wings, the roses, feathery stitches and stars make them beautiful.
So happy to hear that Josie is feeling better and playing again, such a great sign.

Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh my goodness your creation is darling. I love it! All the details you added make the wings perfect. Love the roses in the center. You are simply amazing with anything you touch.

So glad to hear that Josie is a bit better and taking off with yoyos. Surely a great sign. Glad you have a Vet that is helping.

Take good care and have fun creating.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

MosaicMagpie said...

The wings are lovely and I like the shabby edge too! So glad to hear Josie is getting back to her old self!
Deb

Appleshoe said...

Your wings are lovely. I like the stitches. Wonderful to hear Josie is doing better. It's amazing what they will find for toys. Take care.

Dorthe said...

Jillayne, it is so beautiful, love your stitching there, and the shabbyness-
Good to hear your Josie is better, dear.
Hugs,Dorthe