Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Special Day


Thirty-seven years ago the man pictured below came into my life..

Please meet Harold, my Mom's husband. I should also probably say "My Step-Father" but I hesitate to call him that as he has truly been a father to me.

He is one of the most caring and considerate people you could ever hope to know and generous to a fault. 


 I've always loved posts that begin "10 Random Things I Love About..." and I think that might be a fun way of celebrating some of that which is Harold....
 so here we go, in no particular order:

1. He grows the best tomatoes in the world and gives both plants and tomatoes themselves to everyone, and I mean everyone.

2. He is the only person I know that has ever grown a yellow tomato that looked exactly like a rubber duck - it was hilarious!

3. He loves to buy lottery tickets and plan how he will share with all seven of the kids in our family if he wins the big one.

4. He loves to meet new people and is the first one to offer them a beer - always.

5. He will help anybody do anything, and even then, he's the first to offer the beer!

6. He's handy with a hammer and can build just about anything my Mom can dream up, as long as she stays out of the way and lets him do it the way he wants. (sorry Mom, but it's true!)

7. He's willing to have His and Her's gardens to keep the peace and tranquility of the neighbourhood intact!

8. He loved my kids from the first day and is The Best Grandpa Ever. 

9. He can polish your car to perfect shine.

10. He makes my Mom happy.

Happy 81st birthday Harold!!

Love and Hugs, Jill

10 comments:

Karen said...

Harold sounds like a wonderful man! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of him. Please tell him I'm wishing him a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Karen

FlowerLady said...

Wow, that was a wonderful post to this loving man in your life.

Happy Birthday to Harold ~ FlowerLady

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Happy Birthday Harold! May all your wishes come true as you travel around the sun this year!
xx, shell

Createology said...

Happy Birthday to you Harold. Jillayne this is such a lovely tribute birthday wish to Harold. I can honestly see why you adore him. Happy Birthday Harold and may you enjoy many many more...

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

What a beautiful post and Harold sounds like a wonderful Man and how lucky you are to have him in your families life.
Wishing Harold a very happy birthday

Hugs
Carolyn

Lucille said...

What a beautiful post. It brings back memories of my dad.

Appleshoe said...

This is such a sweet post. Happy Birthday Harold. May the best of your past be the the worst of your future. Take care.

Becca said...

This is such a sweet, sweet post...love it, and happy birthday to Harold!

The French Bear said...

Happy Birthday to you Harold!!! It is really touching that he is the Father and Grandpa for you and your family....so nice to hear that!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Maggie said...

Awwwww...what a beautiful post to give to your father...he sounds like a wonderful man, just like you jill. Happy Birthday Harold, wishing you much happiness and love
hugs
Maggie