Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday's "Musement - Adrift


When I'm focused, I can move mountains and when I'm not.... I drift.

Drifting from task to task, room to room, flitting like a butterfly in summer garden.

Today I ventured into my studio. I wanted to make something but didn't know what. Picked up this and that only to put them down again, the urge to create strong, but nothing compelling enough to spur me on.

As I cast a glance 'round the room I spied a little bundle of inspiration I picked up along our travels in France.


I've had a thing for driftwood since I was a toddler and everywhere I go I can't resist adding to my pile, and this trip was no exception. (When I was filling out my Customs Declaration on the plane there was no where to declare my driftwood, rocks, beach glass and seedpods - I was like a little kid with their pockets jammed full after a day outside!).

I saw a driftwood heart in a small shop and was completely enchanted with it but it was too big and too fragile to get back home. But the wheels were turning and I knew if I gathered enough, I could make my own when we got home...

It was a little fiddly and as I had a limited supply (I am definitely buying a bigger suitcase before I go on any more trips!) I had to break bigger pieces into littler ones but I am thrilled with it.
I had one flat piece that I thought I would paint something on but then these carved stone flowers called out to me...

 I just have to decide if I want to add a hanger or just display it propped on a shelf - propping is winning right now...
 

One of my favourite things about being away is the stack of mail waiting for me  when I get back home, and if there's a parcel or two in the mix, even better!


I saw these beautiful napkins on Dorthe's blog where she used them in one of her delightful projects, and she spent me a small packet of them - every side is different and I am so excited to play with these - lots of inspiration!
 She also included one of her beautiful tags...


There was also this beautiful greeting card from Susan at Suztats. Susan does the most amazing painting, and she also does a weekly challenge in which she stretches her painting skills. I love reading all about them and every once in a while she cuts up a canvas and makes note cards for readers.
Gorgeous!!


And this little sweetie landed right before I left - Sherry from Creatology sent me this adorable little bird! Cheery and sweet, and a pretty yellow - a perfect little bird to perch right beside my work table and remind me summer is indeed here!


Thank you ladies. I am so grateful you were kind enough to send me these treasures!

And finally, I've caught up my tally for May just in time to say goodbye to June as well - neither month is going to be good for my goals but vacations and gardens get in the way of things sometimes!

12 comments:

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I love your driftwood heart girlfriend! It's fabulous! Love all your excellent mail goodies as well! It is so much fun to come from an adventure and be greeted by goodies in the mail. :)
xx, shell

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, I like the driftwood heart. It is unique and your mail goodies are precious too. I know that from reading your blog that you had a wonderful trip and I throughly enjoyed traveling along with you. My vacation trips with you all may be the only trip we get this year. Have a great week and I will be anxious to see your next project. Your Missouri Friend.

Laura said...

Mom, that heart is GORGEOUS! And very creative... I can't wait to see it in person! I may just have to start bringing you sticks and twigs of my own...

Becky Shander said...

Your driftwood heart is so wonderfully layered. And it seems we share a love of collecting souvenirs from nature...isn't it amazing that these marvelous things are free?

Dorthe said...

Jillayne, I love your driftwood heart, it is so beautiful, so lovely simple.
And I was happy to send you some napkins, dear friend, I know you find some beautiful use for them.
You was lucky to recieve the gifts from Suz, and Sherry.
Hugs from,Dorthe

Becca said...

Your driftwood heart is lovely Jillayne!
What lovely things you received from friends.
Happy day!

Suztats said...

What a lovely idea to create a driftwood heart! And wonderful to return home to nice surprises. I'm so glad I could be a part of that as I so enjoyed your posts of your trip. Hugs

Createology said...

Sometimes going into the studio without a plan results in the very best piece of art. Your driftwood heart is extra special as it utilizes pieces collected on your fabulous trip through France. Giftie treasures from friends are always wonderful especially when they are unexpected. Hugs to you...

MosaicMagpie said...

The lovely driftwood heart! Isn't it great to see something and know you can make it when you get home. I am like you with things stuffed in my pockets. I have my eyes on the ground when ever I am out for a walk. The gifts you have recieved are truly lovely! What fun you will have with the napkins. I will be visiting the beach soon so I will take your advice and take a BIG suitcase!
Deb

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hi Jillayne, Your driftwood heart is beautiful and will always remind you of that wonderful vacation. I can imagine that you loved to find such sweet gifts in the mail when you came home. Enjoy!
Hugs,
Julia

Something Special said...

Very artsy projects. If you enjoy a nice giveaway or a sweet swap, come say hi at my blog. Something Special awaits you!

junelle said...

Your driftwood stole my heart!!! I am in love!!! You really are so good at seeing the beauty in things ~ sweet lovely things (not alfalfa snot lambs like me! lol!)

I love this sweet place you call home and will be back~

Junelle