Friday, June 17, 2011

High Ideals

And so we are home.

Home from our great adventure and so very happy to be here, where we belong.
Home is where the heart is?


You bet, but if I am truthful, I have left a good part of my heart over there.

I read once that one of the great sorrows of life is that we have but one life to live.

In so many of the places we were, it was easy to sit a weave a tale of a different life, lived there: which house would be my house, my cafe, the boulanger that would bake my daily baguette to perfection, what would be the perfect bench on the river, creek, or stream for sketching, writing or just sitting and building another perfect daydream...

But this is a good place to be, and in it's own perfection, requires no daydreaming at all.

The past few days have been busy with all the joys of coming home. 
Unpacking small treasures, reacquainting myself with my garden and my sewing room - happy puttering.

I realize I never did post about any of my finds along the way (except of course, The Scarf), but I certainly found a few. And I made it to a real life French Brocante and managed to get through all the tables before the torrential rain started - so I consoled myself at a lovely cafe with a carafe of wine though… 

 I found this piece of lace in a Brocante-Antiquities store in Brittany,


along with this map

 

I swear we drove on every road!
 

the perfect cafe au lait bowl, showing just enough wear to give it character



a perfectly shaped, perfectly grey pottery heart from Lourmarin, where I left my own


and the jackpot was in Dieppe, when I got to spend half an hour and some saved up Euro on these


I am so in love with the laces and trims I found there; they are everything I hoped for, steeped in the colours and styles I dreamt of.

Now I am home with them, all safe and sound, and I realize just how very little there is; I am afraid to begin - anxious to create with them but afraid of messing up, wanting to make something beautiful but the knowledge there is no more is weighing heavy on me as I wait for the ideas to flow.
After all, I can't just run down the street and get more.

High ideals waiting for the perfect idea...

And I am so very glad to be back - I have missed all of you!
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments that you have left while I was on my journey. I will be spending the next month catching up with all of you, to see what adventures you yourselves have been on.

As my grandmother used to say, "Isn't life just grand!?"

14 comments:

Laura said...

Home is where your kids are... and I am HERE! :-)

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne, I almost thought you was not to come home again ,hihi- but I`m so happy you are , -It was beautiful to follow you on this fantastic trip you have had-it must fill so very much in your heart just now- but truly it is wonderful being home again after long and small tours-I also luckyly have that feeling everytime returning home-
So welcome home sweet, I look forward hearing more, and seing your beautiful finds, used in some of your wonderful creations.
Saturday hugs from-Dorthe

Alisa said...

Gorgeous bits of lace! So glad you had such a wonderful time!

Createology said...

Always good to be home however we would not miss it if we did not travel. Your trip was dreamy. Love your new treasures. Those laces are just beautiful and I understand not wanting to use them up. I am always saving everything...for what???the next person to truly enjoy them? Use and enjoy them my dear for that is why you obtained them. Welcome home...

dianehobbit said...

So glad I was able to share your travels and finds with you. I'm sure you will be inspired soon and find just the right project for the wonderful lace trim.

Sunnybec said...

Hello, I have just found your blog and how funny you should be writing about France....it's where I live! We are originally from the UK but have lived in France now for 8 years, we live near Limoges. I love the story about the family in Flunch - it's very typical, family meals are very important in France - hence why most shops etc close for a two hour lunch!! France is a lovely place to live, but like anywhere else it has its good points and its bad. x

Becca said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip! You really got to see some wonderful things, and your little stash you brought home is awesome! I love the lace, and I have no doubt you will be making something even more beautiful with it.
There's always a little piece of my heart I leave in Seattle whenever we visit. :-)

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Lovely pressies and a lovely adventure for sure! Glad you are home safe girlfriend. I enjoyed traveling along with you. :)
xx, shell

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
So happy you are back home safe and sound and reflecting on your wonderful trip. I just enjoyed spending time catching up on the last few posts of travel and I have to say, it is all so dreamy. I can easily see a part of your heart staying behind.
Love the treasures you brought back and the memories even more.

Happy belated birthday to your Stepdad. He sounds like a true gem. Hope he has a wonderful Father's Day too.
Can't wait to see what you do with the gorgeous trims.
XO from Texas,
Celestina Marie

MosaicMagpie said...

There truly is no place like home. Not matter where you travel and roam there is nothing like the feeling of being at home surrounded by the people and things you love.
What lovely laces you found....will you be able to use them? I am not sure I could, I would want to save them for the memories.
Deb

Diane said...

We missed you too! And enjoyed your photos and stories along your route.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a whole year to do this! *sigh*

Glad you're back safe and sound.
Hugs, Diane

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, I have so enjoyed traveling along on your trip with you. All of the wonderful adventures along the way. It is something that I will always just dream about. The laces are so beautiful and I will be looking forward to seeing how you use them. It is great that you are home and had a good time. Have a great week. Your Missouri Friend.

Becky Shander said...

Welcome home...home-sweet-home.

Maggie said...

Welcome home Jill...glad to see your back......... I missed you. Your travels sure went fast, as most holidays do. It is great to get away, but oh so nice to be home again.
hugs
Maggie