Sunday, May 1, 2011

Project Genesis - Our Four Legged Friends

 
Among many other things, I am a quilter and we quilters generate a myriad of scraps; scraps of fabric, scraps of batting, scraps of all sizes, shapes and colours. Here a scrap, there a scrap...

We also generate a great deal of trimmings, bits of fabric and batting that are so small they are defined as useless and pitched into the nearest garbage can.
Yesterday a lady called the quilt shop asking what we did with those trimmings - not the scraps that may have value, but the littlest bits...
"Pitch 'em" I said, "into the garbage".


"Well", she said- "well, that's great news!"
????????
She went on to explain that herself and a group of quilters were looking for just those very things - trimmings that were too small to be of use.
You see, they use them to make dog beds for the local SPCA. 
They take donated pillowcases and stuff them chock-a-block full of these bits of fabrics and batting, so small they need no further chopping up, and thereby aren't at all lumpy.
They make perfect dog beds, and as our SPCA has a policy of no euthanizing, they have a lot of dogs and they live there for a long time. 
And a soft cuddly bed is in great need when you don't have a person to love, who loves you back.

I'm not sure what the shop will do, but I am saving all of my trimmings from now on. And every once in a while I just might sneak in some extra soft wool batting, just to increase the creature comfort factor. I love that the bits we throw away as useless are recycled into something of comfort for an animal in need.
I just might even take some of the scraps and slice and dice into them smaller bits and add them to the pile - goodness knows I have more than I want or need and this project has really pulled at my heart...

Perhaps your local SPCA has a similar Pillow Program.
Or perhaps they need one????

I am linking up to Project Genesis over at Suzan's blog, The Old Grey Mare. Please head over to check out some of the other great ideas for effecting change.
This post is in memory of a darling furry, four-legged friend.
Fezzik.
  A beloved pet of a dear friend who is lost without him.

He was a sweetie!

12 comments:

oldgreymare said...

Another brilliant idea. Of course it took a woman to think of it. How fortunate they came to you. :D

xx
z

Laura said...

After spending time with you and the kitties and spending time with Aunt Kedith and the CUTEST DOGS EVER, I think this is a great idea! You guys need to hurry up and get a dog already :-)

MosaicMagpie said...

What a great post in honor of Fezzik! I will call my local animal shelter and ask if they have anyone doing something like this. Thanks for this small way to honor Fez.
Deb

Bead and Needle said...

GREAT idea!!!!! I always am on the lookout in my local fabric store, for sale polar fleece, etc...I buy it up, cut it up, and take blankets into our local vet, too.

I read about Fezzick yesterday - about broke my heart. I am facing losing my dear dog from a melanoma...my heart broke for her as I read about that dear little Corgi yesterday.

On a lighter note, the quilt store I used to teach at would, when cutting fat quarters, take the folded edge off in an 1/8" slice of the rotary cutter. The owner had a birdfeeder in the courtyard that she would pile the teeny little strips in for the birds to use in their nests.

Have a great week, Jillayne

Susanne said...

Great idea! Use it up and wear it out!
Susanne.

Createology said...

This is such a great idea and will do so much for some wonderful pets who need lots of love. You are so kind and generous to help this great cause Jillayne.
I am so heartbroken over Fezzik that it makes me cry just to think of him and what this means to Donna. I pray she is comforted by those of us who love her.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

This is such a great idea and yes, we all have bags of offcuts and I have odds and ends of teddy bear fur.
Will have to see if our SPCA are interested. Thanks for telling us about this kind cause.
Yes, feeling sad for Donna, and I hope she can find comfort at this difficult time.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Marj Talbot said...

Great story. I just finished a string quilt so there's lots of snippets. I had scraped them into the bin but shall empty the bin into a bag today. My husband is a bird lover so I'll make the teeny strips for the birds. I especially like that idea.
Thanks tons for sharing this great one. As for Donna, I hope she very soon has a new four legged furry friend to cuddle and love.

Theresa said...

This is such a great idea. So many benefits of saving the littlest of scraps. Thank you for passing it on. xoxo

Alisa said...

What a fantastic idea! I'll be calling my local SPCA right away!
Thanks for sharing, Jillyane.

Becky Shander said...

The dog beds are a wonderful idea...thank you for the tip and link.

mackenzie said...

That is a wonderful idea. I would love to be able to make dog beds out of scraps.