Friday, April 1, 2011

My Eyes Are Dim

Well, they're getting that way...

I turned 50 a few days ago.

Lots of things happen as we age - I read about them, laughed about them and made jokes about them and in the way of the world, it's all coming back to haunt me now... funny how that works....
The only one that has really bothered me is eyesight, but my husband surprised me on the big day by getting me this...


a brand new sewing machine, equipped with these...


dozens and dozens of decorative stitches... among other wonderful features I have yet to sort out. Right now I'm just captivated by these.
Machine stitching will never replace my hand work - I'm thinking it will add another dimension to my creations, especially collage where you are stitching through canvas - no fun to do by hand as it's really hard on my wrists and I poke myself until I feel like a pin cushion with all that forceful jabbing!

Lucille, my dear friend, knew all about this surprise and at work that morning she surprised me with these...


beautiful shimmery threads for all those pretty stitches to set me on my way. 
I never buy decorative threads for machine stitching - plain old cotton was all I ever wanted but she insists this will open a whole new world for me. And she is equally as stubborn as I am so there is no sense arguing.

To round it out, she made me this sweet little felt pouch, from Julie's instructions over at her blog The Adventure's of Blue Girl


Lucille filled it with packages of sewing machine needles for - you guessed it - using decorative threads, so now there are no more excuses!

How lucky can a girl get?

Especially 'cause it wasn't a gift of Miracle Bras, Support Hose, and Bi-Focals...

I guess there's always 60!

19 comments:

MosaicMagpie said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, my friend!
What a thoughtful husband you have there. I have a Janome machine and I love it. The best thing about it, is that knee lift for the pressure foot yours has. Once you get used to that feature it is hard to live without. The threads are great and what fun you will have stitching with them. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Now don't worry about that failing eyesight...it makes it easier to ignore chin hairs, boobs that get caught in your waistband.....the list goes on and on.
Welcome to the 50's club.
Deb

Diane H said...

Birthday Blessings! Wow, have fun playing with your new machine.

oldgreymare said...

hey now ...be careful about dissin' 60!
Some of us out here are kissin' the coattails of 60 while wearing our bifocals :D
Happy Belated Birthday!

xx
z

Robin said...

Happy Birthday Jillayne! Oh my, I have sewing machine envy....and that thread looks beautiful. I'm sure you will be making some more absolutely gorgeous creations....enjoy!

Hugs,
Robin

Dorthe said...

Yes dear Jillayne--there is 60-and bi-focales.... just ask me, :)
And congratulations, with your birthday- and your wonderfull new machine- such a great present.
I too have some shimmery threads,--that I did not use much-.-but sometimes they gives a wonderfull glow, in a collage.

Have a good and cosy week-end, with studying this new wonder-
Big hug-
Dorthe

Laura said...

Can't wait to see what kinds of creations you've come up with the next time I come to visit! All you need now is to win the lottery...

Suztats said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Jillayne!!
Oh, and what wonderful gifts you've received! I am drooling over your sewing machine, your glittery threads, and can't wait to see what wonders you'll create. I hope you have a splendid day, and Many Happy Returns!

Diane said...

Jillayne, Happy Birthday!!!! You will LOVE your Janome!!!! I have a 6500 and it's the best ever! Yours looks even better! I know you will have so much fun with all of the stitches it can do!

Bead and Needle said...

Happy Birthday, Jillayne...you're gonna' LOVE that Janome - I have a 6500, also. Enjoy - no wine while sewing!

Tanya

Shirley said...

A belated Happy Happy Birthday Jillayne. I have Janome, but not near as fancy as yours. I really like you birthday presents. You are young yet. Try adding soon to be 20 more years to that and I do wear bifocals. I will hit that magic age in August. My kids tease me about that one. I told them I am going backwards. HeHe. Have a great weekend. Your Missouri Friend.

Marj Talbot said...

Congratulations - you will have so much fun with your new machine and those beautifull threads. I can't wait to see some of the project results - what will you try first??
It's good you got the new toy at age 50 - another decade could make it somewhat more difficult/stressfull to decifer the instructions and not want to go back to the familiar ones.
(coming from someone who's been there)

Createology said...

A very belated Happy Birthday to you. Your gifts are just perfect and how very thoughtful of your husband and friend. An entire new world of stitching and decorative threads is opening to you now. Happy weekend my dear...

Lucille said...

I can't wait to see your creations. Enjoy your machine.

Becca said...

Hey! Happy Birthday Jillayne! What a lovely gift from your hubby. It reminded me of when I went into my craft room one birthday and saw my new viking sapphire all set up! Wow! Fun! I can't wait to see all your new and fun machine stitching. Happy weekend!

The English Romantic said...

What a lovely surprise, Im sure you'll do great things with that. I use those threads and really love them I'm sure you will too.
Have fun!!!

Patty@sewingseeds said...

Happy Birthday. The 50' club...eeek! I'm right behind you this month. I have to admit this one has been a hard one. Many blessings and many more happy, creative years!

The French Bear said...

Jillayne, Happy Birthday!!!! You never let on!!! I feel bad that I missed it, what a wonderful, wonderful surprise to receive...love the new machine!!!!
Hope you have a great weekend and the celebrating continues!!!
Hugs,
Mags
xx

dianehobbit said...

What a wonderful birthday. 50 isn't old anymore (my turn next year), enjoy your new machine. Best wishes Diane x

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Such a fantastic gift! I know you are going to have so much fun with it!!! Glad your birthday was every bit as special as you are!
xx, shell