Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Monday's 'Musement - Still Winter?

Yesterday was a Winnie the Pooh kind of day - I was at a loose end...

With nothing pressing that had to be done and a serious aversion to starting something new, a restless energy took hold and I spent the better part of the day thinking more about what to do than actually doing anything.

Days like that I pick up knitting needles...


and make scarves for snowmen!

We got a new yarn in at the quilt shop and it is the funkiest coloured ball of yarn I've seen in a long time and I thought it might make fun scarves for snowmen.

I'm loving the colour blocking that is happening; it's entirely random and you get what you get, but I think that will add to the whimsical look I am trying to achieve...


I am thinking I might make hats too, once I get a few of these finished in different widths and lengths.

Becky Shander has a great post on her blog about felted bags made from your old sweaters. I loved the idea but as I'm allergic to wool I haven't any, and was thinking my best bet would be the thrift store, when I started thinking that while I can't wear wool without itching and scratching all day long, I can knit with certain wool yarns in small doses. I could knit fabric and then felt it - more work but as I say I am always about the process I can hardly balk now...


And then I remembered a scarf I started a few years ago for my daughter's partner Steve that went awry. Truly went awry - the edges wow out here and there and I messed up the pattern - a good learning piece but not giftable! I have always intended to take it apart and start over but now I am going to felt it and make something else.

I've never felted anything so that should be an adventure of it's own!

10 comments:

MosaicMagpie said...

I love felting old sweaters. Really any wool items. It is so much fun to open the washer and see what you get! If you have a front loading washer the felting will be difficult to do. You may have to visit a friend with a top loading washer. I guess that does prove that front loading washers are easier on our clothes. Try to find a cashmere sweater to felt....yummy!
Deb

Patty@sewingseeds said...

I've not tried felting either. I'll be curious to see your progress. Thanks for the nice email...I'm feeling better about the whole birthday thing, now that it's all over.

oldgreymare said...

Felting, now you're talking my language lol

xx
z

Dorthe said...

JILLAYNE, it is so sweet, and real whimsi- the snowmen will love them and hats ,too---
I have tryed felting sweaters in my washer, for different occations-and it is so random, what comes up---sometimes it does not work at all- even picking a real wonderful sweater-- and then other times they are great-well I do have a front loader--we don`t have the others here in DK.....
I wish you good luck, with your new adventure dearest Jillayne.
Hugs,Dorthe

Marj Talbot said...

Wish I'd have know about wool felting many years ago. My husband being born in Ireland, was lucky to have several oil treated lamb's wool sweaters that his mother had knit. One day he decided to be Mr Helpfull and washed those beautifull sweaters. I don't need to tell you what happened to them - too bad I didn't still have them. Good Luck!

Bead and Needle said...

Isn't knitting the most wonderful way to while away some time...usually in the evenings when I am on the couch, so I don't fall asleep. Pretty yarn - and you would LOVE felting...I'm always amazed at how something so big can turn THAT small...shouldn't be from shrunken sweaters over the years, I guess. Have a wonderful week, Jillayne! Tanya

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I love the look and feel of felted wool. No ichies here with wool. Alpaca is another story!
Sometimes a Winne the Poo kinda day is just fun and perfect! :)
xx, shell

Laura said...

I think I will go find my knitted sweater with the heart and put it on... :-) Okay, maybe on Tippy...

Createology said...

I have never tried the felting of old sweaters or whatnots. And I certainly have never knitted a huge piece just to shrink it all up. Your snowpeeps scarves are looking very adorable. Funny how the colors block so squarely. Happy creating...

Suztats said...

I haven't done any felting either, well, not on purpose, anyway. ;-) I'll have fun watching.