Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday's "Musement - Ring Around the Rosie

Well, it didn't finish quite as planned but I am pleased none the less...

 

this is the Dresden Plate mini tree skirt from a few posts ago...

Thank heavens it's a perfect fit.

Which is awfully stunning as I hadn't taken any measurements; this didn't start out intended for a tree skirt but I got the idea shortly into the project. I had thought if it didn't fit the tree we had, I would just have to get another.... I wasn't going to go back and re-cut and rework everything


It perfectly covers the tree supports, by about an inch - whew!


The little ring of roses around the centre wasn't intended either but came about because I wasn't happy with the binding.
I tried two different techniques, both of which were not great so finally I decided I would make little fabric roses out of various muslins, linens and silk ribbons and sew them all around the centre. 
I love how it looks!



I didn't like the way all the seams looked, so I hand-embroidered a feather stitch along every second one - none was too bare while every seam seemed too much - every other one might be just right (it was a Goldilocks moment).
If you think I should do them all, let me know as I am still undecided...


Before I did that I appliqued the Dresden onto a piece of wool, did the embroidery and then, because the background was wool fabric and not wool felt, I added a backing using a quick-turn method.


It's finished off with a blanket stitch all around the outer edge, done with a slightly darker embroidery thread than that which I used on the seams.

I tried taking some better close ups but nothing turned out - if you click on the pictures you'll see the details better.

So this year, we'll only have to "shop" my fabric cupboard for one tree skirt instead of two!
  

16 comments:

Marj Talbot said...

I love it the way it is and agree taht every seam would be a bit much. It is very nice indeed. I did one making it a circular kind of mat which I'll use for a plant perhaps. I'd like to make another in the lighter colours - it's a fun project.
I love the brown wool fabric as well - perfect touch.
Thanks tons for sharing.

Bead and Needle said...

This is STUNNING! Absolutely beautiful, Jillayne - Tanya

Draffin Bears said...

This is beautiful Jillayne and you must have been really happy with how it turned out.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Createology said...

Your tree skirt is exquisite. I love how you have embroidered every other piece as that really does allow the eye to focus on each of the fabrics without being too busy. You are brilliant with the wool and backing. What a wonderful glitch on the binding where you so smartly placed the flowers which lend visual stability to the tree trunk. I am truly in love with your creation. Happy week to you my dear...

Laura said...

I love it how elegant and unique it is, when compared to the typical tree skirt... great work Ma!

oldgreymare said...

Well it's just "tree"ific..oh dear..too little sleep again is making me goofy lol
It's beautiful Jillayne

xx
z

Diane said...

OMG, this is gorgeous! The addition of the wool edging just finishes it off beautifully! I was wondering how you did that easily. Quick turn! Clever! That's how I've done scalloped edges on my quilts. So much easier than binding, isn't it! Sneaky quilters! LOL!
Hugs, Diane

Alisa said...

Oh, it's perfect! I love the roses... a lovely and unexpected touch.

MosaicMagpie said...

Well Goldilocks, I think you did a super job and I would not change one thing about it. The roses are a great touch. The idea of appliquing it to wool base was great too. Adds such warm to it!
Deb

FredaB said...

I too think it is just perfect the way it is. I loved how you used the wool for the backing and edging. Just right.

Hugs

FredaB

Dorthe said...

Hi, dear-
how absolutely wonderful it turned out--the stitching at every second seam-I think is beautiful-and enough- and the roses---oh Jillayne-you also made the roses- they are a fantastic add, to the "skirt" --what a big and beautiful work ,dear-- I don`t quit understand, what the Quick turn-means,--(I see Diane is familiar with it)but it is a wonderful finish.
Hugs-from Dorthe

Lucille said...

Beautiful.

Michelle May (Shell) said...

OMG! I looooooooove ittt!!!! I think the stitching on every other one is perfect. Just enough and not too much. Beautiful girlfriend!!
xx, shell

Becca said...

Gosh Jillayne, that tree skirt is beautiful! Your work just amazes me and always inspires me. You have a certain style, and it shows up in everything you do, I love it!

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
WOW WOW WOW this is just gorgeous. I love the color and the details are perfect. The ring of roses is the perfect accent. Don't you love how something comes about because of something we didn't intend? I am so inpsired and just love the colors which I find I have been using more in my home lately with a touch of the black.
You created a masterpiece my friend.

Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment.
Have a wonderful Wed.
Hugs from Texas, Celestina Marie

design elements said...

lovely work, Jillayne! Happy weekend!