Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday's 'Musement - Messy Fingers

We're on Winter #2 here...
Woke up to 5" of snow, and flakes were still gently falling!


 Below is one of our cherry trees; the buds were getting ready to open so I don't know what this might mean for summer's pies...


And Boz was not even remotely impressed when he went out for his morning walk-about!


So today was the perfect day to start mucking around in the She Art Workshop I blogged about the other day.
I don't have all the materials Christy suggests and am in no rush to go out and buy them so I am playing with what I have - I did have to buy canvases and gel medium but that's about it. 
I started with making two backgrounds; she throws so many ideas out there that one just wasn't going to cut it. Below is the paper palette for the first one-


and here's the paper for the second-


#1 stuck in place


and #2
(they look a little faded as the gel medium hadn't fully dried when photographed)


and here's #1 with the first of the painting and stamping


I'm loving this piece as it is!

click to see larger

I don't have any of the rub-ons or stencils like Christy uses but I think I can make do with a few ideas of my own - besides, it's kind of fun to start spreading my wings a little and finding my own way with some of this.

I have no clue where I am going next with this one so it will get parked for a few days while I watch more of the videos and decide where to venture next.

I must say this is the most fun I've had getting messy in a very long time!


11 comments:

oldgreymare said...

on my #2 canvas....let me give you some advice i just learned the hard way...if you keep looking at it when done and saying i should change this one little part here..DON"T!
or you end up mucking it up and having a fine mess lol

trust me on this one- let it lie for days if need be before jumping in to correct it : (

xx
z

Tina @ TinyBear said...

Wonderful backgrounds Jillayne. Love that last one - the color combination is perfect.
I can´t believe you still have snow...

Diane said...

Jillayne, these look great! That's what I've found about the gel medium too, when I put it on thick - it takes too long to dry and I get impatient. I guess that's where it helps to have several going at once. I put mine on the counter that sets over my heater and hope that makes it dry quickly.

Another texture medium to use is plain old spackle - if it's on a hard substrate so it won't crack.
While it's still wet, you can impress things into it like lace to create even more texture than the texture from applying it with a palette knife. We used to make a line of picture frames that we sold wholesale with this technique.

You're having fun!!
Hugs, Diane

Suztats said...

You're playing! And having fun! Yay!
I love what you've created so far, and I'll be sticking around to see what happens next. Isn't experimenting the greatest? I find it's a fun way to learn, and there are so many possibilities.......

Dorthe said...

Jillayne- you made a wonderful sheet- when painting and stamping- the colors are so beautiful- what a great way of making a very interesting background- I would like to play like that, myself,too :)
And how about the snow--oh dear ,I can think you have had enough, dear--
Big hug-Dorthe

Bead and Needle said...

Gotta' love those spring snows! I am surprised Boz will even venture out in snow.

LOVING your art pieces (just looked at Z's, also)...they are beautiful. Can't believe how much of a change the first canvas took on with the stampings, etc. SO cool!

Becca said...

Oo I really like how your background turned out! I've been having fun too, and just finished my first girl. I have 2 other backgrounds ready to go too! Can't wait to see your girl. :-)

MosaicMagpie said...

The canvas looks so different after you painted and distressed it. It is great and Diane gave good suggestions about the spackle. I will be watching to see what you do next. It is hard waiting on a project to dry, when you are in the creative spirit!
Deb

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Your project background is already wonderful. I know it will be something outstanding when completed.

Wow that snow looks beautiful but out of place now. However, growing up in Michigan I do remember snow sometimes even in May.
Hopefully it will melt fast. Your kitty looks darling against the snowfall.

Loved catching up on all your great posts.
You are always so amazing with everything you do and always inspire!!

Blessings for a special Easter.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

FredaB said...

Hi Jillayne

Just catching up on some of my best blogs since I was away. You piqued my curiosity and I went to christy's site and guess who is signing up for the next one.

I don't have all the fancy things either but I have enough to at least play around and make some neat backgrounds. I can always steal from Harv's watercolor and pencil boxes.

I loved your little story about the heart in the next one. You are very poetic.

Hugs

FredaB

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I can't believe all that snow! Brrrr! It was a good day to stay inside and be artfully messy.
xx, shell