Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday's 'Musement - Got It Right

Today I tried again.

I decided to really pay attention to what I wanted, keep an image in my mind that I could work toward and now I have what I wanted...


this is much more what I had in mind weeks ago when I started making a journal cover for my trip...


the same canvas, the same fabric with French writing and this time some printed cottons from French General, in that lovely French blue they call woad


vintage lace from Corey Amaro of Tongue In Cheek (who has offered to take me to the Brocante when we are in Provence - eek!)



my favourite heart charm that I have held on to for about ten years, waiting for the right project to come along


detail of the lace and stitching from my new machine - such fun, such frustration!


this is the inside; I chose a cheery red for the centre lining and did a pretty flower stitch down the "spine" - love it!


the outside cover folded open - a few little patchwork squares for the back cover and here you can see the blue flower stitching on the spine - click for a closeup

When I say frustrated, let me tell ya - I had picked out a lovely stitch but every time I tried sewing it on my test piece, the thread broke. Over and over again - I re threaded the top, the bobbin, the top, the bobbin, changed the needle, changed the tension, re threaded again and finally gave up and found a stitch that would work. I don't know if it's the canvas, or that the stitch I wanted to use was a complex one but regardless, it was a no go.


Yesterday I started making a stitch record - there are dozens and dozens of decorative stitches on this machine and Lucille suggested I make myself a stitch record - stitches look much different sewn than diagrammed. 
She's right too, but oh my, it's a hang of a lot of work! 
I will do a little every day - it's helping me learn all about the machine as well, and right now all I can say is I am getting awfully good at troubleshooting!

24 comments:

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Funny how most of life is spent troubleshooting isn't it?

Love your journal cover girlfriend. Totally jealous of your upcoming trip. Jeaaaaaaaaalooous I tell ya! Down right green with envy..Naughty Shell...naughty. hee,hee,hee.
xx

peggy aplSEEDS said...

what a beautiful journal cover you've made! the details are lovely. and wow, your machine makes wonderful stitches!

Createology said...

Oh Jillayne this is the perfect journal cover. It is so beautiful and practical all at the same time. It really embodies the French theme. How special you used your "good stuff" lace and heart just for you to enjoy! Very smart to make a stitch chart. Once in a while I select a decorative stitch to use "just because I can". Your trip will be so amazing...

Laura said...

Who knew "play" could be so much work! Honestly, I prefer the first cover, but I think this one is definitely more your style!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Jillayne:
Your journal cover is simply scrumptious! I love it! Glad you worked out a stitch design that you liked. Your plan came together in spite of the threads. Bravo!
xoxo
Donna

The English Romantic said...

Beautiful Jillayne,
I just love 'French general'. Have a great trip, so near yet so far!
miles, Angela.

Patty@sewingseeds said...

Just perfect...It really all came together in such an incredible way. I love the pop of color that beautiful shade of blue brings. Have a wonderful time.

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
your new journal, is sooo sweet- the most beautifull fabric`s you used- and the little flower pattern on the spine- is the most cute,ever-this has a totally other feeling, than the last one-that is very elegant,-and this one, cosy and homey-a beautifull work, sweet.
Hugs,Dorthe
p.s. there is a little bit thankyou on it`s way to you....

Diane said...

Perfect!!!
Hugs, Diane

Tina Eudora said...

Beautiful Jillayne, I love the colors and the word "france" in simple stitching....lovely!
Tina xo

Karen said...

This is simply gorgeous! Looks like you spent a lot of time sewing (and unsewing) and that a lot of thought was put into this project. Way to go!

Karen

Marj Talbot said...

Great job on your journal cover. The heart charm is beautifull and very fitting. I did love your original cover but this one would be more serviceable for your trip.
How many more sleeps???

Bead and Needle said...

I actually love elements in both of the journal covers, and you do such beautiful work (the ribbon flower is exquisite), but I have to say that I have a particular weakness for fabric with writing on it! Can't pass up a piece of it - LOVE the second one you did!

Sometimes I have to drag out my "Metallic" needles for difficult thread - I HATE when I start popping thread. Didn't take me long to learn that my Janome hated the Sulky brand for some reason.

Hope you find the reason - keep up the beautifully creative work, though I have no doubt you will!

Lucille said...

I love this Journal Cover.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

I love your pretty Journal and all the detail and pretty fabrics you have used.
Always takes a lot of getting used to a new machine and good luck with working it all out.
I take it you are going for a trip to France soon. lucky lucky! it is such a beautiful Country.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

FredaB said...

Love your journal and that little heart is very pretty. I still haven't learned all the stitches on my machine. Doing them all and making a note of each one is a great idea. IF I ever get the time I might try that. Maybe I need Lucille down here to get after me.

Imagine having Corey take you to the brocante. You make sure you take her up on that. I have been reading her since she started and really enjoy her.

Hugs

FredaB

Lucille said...

I agree with Laura, I prefer the first cover.

Alisa said...

OMG! Gorgeous!!!
And you're getting to go brocanting with Corey! I'm so envious!

(lot's of exclamation marks here! heehee)

MosaicMagpie said...

Love the journal cover. What fun it will be to use it. Just think of all the fun places you will visit and the lovely things that will come home with you. I started one of those stitch journals...got about as far as you have now and abandoned the project. I figure I will be surprised what the stitches look like! If I don't like the stitch...that's what they make seam rippers for.
Deb

dianehobbit said...

Lovely book cover. Have you tried titanium needles, I have found them to be really good with difficult threads. They are also great for projects where you keep changing your threads, there is no need to change your needle each time. They are from Maderia. Here is a link from Barnyarns regarding them http://www.barnyarns.co.uk/Domestic-Machine-Needles-c-965.html

Becca said...

I am loving your journal covers! Have fun with all those stitches! Love the stitch book, I've been wanting to do that too, but haven't gotten around to it yet. :-)

Italian Girl in Georgia said...

Such pretty work. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I am glad to know you!

Ciao,
Suzanne

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh your journal is beautiful. Your details make it so special and French inspired. I think it comes so easy for you and your excitment for your trip is coming through. Everything you create is always amazing.

Wow your machine makes gorgeous stitches. How great to keep a book of samples.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Your journal is beautiful, Jillayne! It'so romantic looking. I love the fabrics you have used.
I can imagine that you had been frustrated after trying so many things to make that one stitch work. That's no fun.
Have a lovely weekend!
xoxo,
Julia