Friday, April 15, 2011

Bloggers Are Tricksy people

I have met some amazing people through blogging.
During my first year of reading blogs, and having my own, I came across a common blogging theme - bloggers waxing poetic about the friendships they were making with other bloggers.



I read about them, witnessed them through the back and forth kibitzing evident on many blog posts but I felt a league apart - the kid standing in the corner of the playground, the new kid, that played in a seemingly nonchalant way, all the while watching out of the corner of her eye, wistfully.

I wasn't forming those kind of friendships but I wanted to. I wanted to know the people who were inspiring me, who elevated my thinking, who introduced me to new kinds of artistic expression. The more they showed, the more they shared, the more I wanted... well, more.

One day I had a revelation - and you'll laugh out loud - but I realized that in order to meet people, I would need to take the plunge - leave a comment and through that comment, introduce myself. You would not believe how absolutely gut-wrenching it was to me to leave that first comment. Was the spelling right, did it make sense, was it heartfelt, was it relevant?
Comment angst. Ick.

I left a few comments here and there and then one day I left a comment on Diane's blog - (Diane Knott's Musings) she seemed nice, and she asked a question - "Are you a quilter or a sewer?" I couldn't leave that one alone...

Diane's creation that I received from our swap
Diane introduced her bloggers to me and from that post I have met some pretty stunning people. And that gave me the gumption to reach out a little more and then more and more, and even more and now I have met many others all on my own.

One of those is Dorthe of Den Lille Lade.

a beautiful heart she made me as a thank you for a swap I hosted
A few months back, in the midst of a great purge, I mentioned in an email to her that I was getting rid of some old Victoria magazine issues. She had a hard time getting them in Denmark so after a bit of back and forthness, we figured out which issues I didn't want that she needed. So I bundled up a parcel and sent them off. She tried to pay me for them, for the shipping at least, but I was just happy to send them to someone who really wanted them. And after  living most of my life in the Yukon, I know very well what it's like to want something and not be able to even have a hope of getting it.

So I suggested she use her money to enjoy some ice cream on the beach with her grand-daughter. (She posted about that once and it was one of my favourite posts of hers). She protested but I wouldn't tell her my Pay Pal email.

She tricked me back.

Look at all these beauties!

bits of driftwood with lace and cloth and wood butterflies, stamped with script

a lovely present, tied up with ribbon and a "button nest"

a charming tag
 and inside that beautifully wrapped present was this charming driftwood angel

one of her charming driftwood angels
Dorthe and I share an addiction to driftwood (I even carted back a few choice pieces from a holiday in Switzerland 4 years ago!) and this little parcel is all the sweeter for it.

Dorthe is a faithful visitor to many blogs, including mine. She never fails to leave a comment and they are always wonderful. She is supportive, complimentary, encouraging, and just downright wonderful, as are all the others I have met.

I have received many wonderful things from many wonderful people over the past year but truly the best is relating to so many truly kindred spirits over the past year. As Suzan from Old Grey Mare said, "parallel lives"

Leaving a comment can be a gut-wrenching thing, but only at first - you would be surprised at what might come your way if you are brave enough to hit that "post" button.





14 comments:

marie said...

Dorthe is wonderful! She always leaves the most encouraging comments! The little driftwood angel she sent you is just adorable.

It is amazing the wonderful people who are just a keyboard away! That would include you as well, Jillayne!!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Dear Jillayne:
Dorthe and Dianne are both wonderful women. I'm so glad that you learned what we all learned by stepping out of our comfort zones. Happy Weekend, sweet friend.
xoxo
Donna

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

I think we can all relate to having met the most beautiful and kind people here. I know I have and I am glad that I have met you.
Yes, Dorthe is one of the most loveliest and I enjoy seeing her gorgeous creations. She must have been happy to get the Victoria's and you must have been thrilled to get her sweet gifts.

Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

oldgreymare said...

we simply must get together soon and compare notes on our e course. I have just watched week 1 and hope to get the art supplies out this weekend. so happy to be able to share with someone I know ! WOOT!

ah the sweet stuff of blogging...

xx
z

Bead and Needle said...

What precious treasures from a precious friend. I LOVE that little driftwood angel. I also treasure some of the friendships I have made over the internet...I have even had the opportunity to meet a few eBay sellers I was in one of the selling groups with. One has become like a sister to me, with the bond of CO in both our lives. I will be meeting up with her again this summer, when I go home, and another of the small group is driving in from MO to meet both of us.

Have an outstanding weekend, Jillayne - Tanya

Diane said...

Jillayne, you made me smile! First of all, thank you for mentioning me. And 2ndly, it was so easy to pass on your name and your blog so that others could meet you too! YOU are a very talented, intelligent woman! You have so much to share and it is always my joy to visit with you here!
Blessings! Have a fun weekend!
Diane

The English Romantic said...

Hi Jillayne,
You are so right, I love to get up in the morning and check out what my friends are up to on there blogs. It puts a spring in my step and inspires me for the day ahead.
Your gifts from Dorthe are so delicious!
Hugs, Angela.

Suztats said...

I always enjoy your posts, Jillayne whether you are sharing insights or tutes, and I always learn something. Thank you. I think that blogging women have the biggest hearts in the world!

Marj Talbot said...

An old saying is that your neighbours/friends are what you are. How true it is. You draw out the best in everyone and it's so good to read what everyone posts. Crafters are a special group of people aren't they?
What a cute driftwood angel. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you can make something nice out of anything.
Thanks once again for sharing.

Becca said...

Hi Jillayne, your post this morning was music to my ears! It has been a wonderful place, this blog land, and I too am grateful for all of the lovely friends I have made through art. Happy weekend. :-)

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, I loved your post this morning it said something that I have often thought. I am trying to decide about stepping out of my comfort zone and maybe open a website. I have made so many wonderful friends only lately with everything I haven't had the time to visit them like I want to do. They are very encouraging that is the main thing. Have a great weekend I am off to watch my grandson play soccer. Take care Your Missouri Friend.

MosaicMagpie said...

Dorthe is a real sweetheart. She creates from the heart and it shows. I too have been thinking about doing a post on "leaving a comment". Once again great minds, thinking alike.
The whole ball that starts rolling from those first few words left as a comment on someone's blog. The friendships that are formed and ongoing.
Deb

Createology said...

As the saying goes..."the world is a mirror and you get what you give". You have made such wonderful friends because you are wonderful and genuine. You have said it so well in this post...be ourselves and believe and open up to receive. Enjoy your weekend my dear and each of your lovely treasures from such lovely blogging friends...

Robin said...

Diane and Dorthe, are both sweet ladies.....as are you Jillayne! Have a wonderful week.

Hugs,
Robin