Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Artspirations - Art Journey #2

Artspirations.

What a great word, so full of meaning; things you want to do that are artful.

Ever since the movie starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, you hear more and more about people's Bucket Lists.
I don't have a long list of places to go and don't really have much of a list of things to do - I've never been a tick-box kind of traveller or doer.

But today I was thinking of what I wanted to pack in my sewing kit for our trip and I hummed and hawed for ages over what I might want to work on while we were traipsing around France...



and I realized one thing I really want to do there is paint, en plein air...



So cliche!

But I don't care. I don't care at all.



And then I started thinking about what other art journeys I would like to do... where would be an amazing place to write in my journal?



And under what circumstances?

Think early morning in the shadow of the Berlin Wall... but then maybe that's a place better suited to the dark of night, with only a flashlight... what thoughts would come to mind and pen in the haunting shadows?

Would poetry come more readily in Baudelaire's Paris?

What might one sketch if one could sit on the Staircase of Mirrors at the Chanel Boutique on Rue Cambon?



What might one stitch?




I'm not sure of a lot of things but I do know this: places have energy. There is a vibe and a feeling, and whether or not you believe it comes from events that occurred there or how you yourself feel about them, in your own knowledge of them, the energy is there.

Can it be harnessed?
If I am in doubt of my painting ability, might I feel more confident if I was perched on a rock in the presence of Provence sunflowers?
And in that confidence would my brush stroke be a little more definitive? Or perhaps even defiant?
Would I see the light?

So I am going to think on this idea for a bit and make myself a list, a list of creative pursuits that would thrill me to the core.
Things to make, things to see, things to do, things for me.

What would be on the top of your Artspirations List?

17 comments:

Becca said...

Oh I'm so excited for you getting to see France! Wow, I can only imagine what fun and inspiring adventures you will have. I would have to seek out all the musical history, sites. I do play piano and I am fascinated with any music history.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

You have shared a lovely post and Spring time in Paris will be so beautiful and to be able to sit in one of the many gorgeous parks and do your painting and some stitching.
Writing a journal is great too, to keep all your memories recorded.

Happy Easter
Hugs
Carolyn

Tess said...

I want to see a real huge art gallery. With many media exhibits, paintings and sculptures. I want to visit a mexican pueblo, ancient and rough. To draw it, to smell it, to amaze at the wonder of the people that chiseled out homes from rock.
Happy Easter,

Tess

MosaicMagpie said...

Yes indeed there is an energy that radiates out from objects and places. To feel it with you heart and absorb it with your mind. Just to sit and think about all the others that have walked those streets and visited those places. What fun you will have documenting all the things you will see and feel.
There are places that seem to call to us.
My biggest Artspiration would have to be, being still and quiet long enough to allow me to listen to the still small voice that calls to my inner artist (my inner muse).
Deb

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, Can I be a stowaway in your suitcase. I can only dream of the adventure that you are getting ready to take. I do hope you take some pictures to share with us here on blog land. I always have a problem deciding which project I want to take to work on, Enjoy all of the scenery, museums and just everything. Happy Easter. Your Missouri Friend.

Alisa said...

What a great post, Jillayne! I think you're right about a place's energy helping to direct a specific medium. That's one reason why I always pack several different projects when traveling.

dianehobbit said...

Enjoy your trip to France, it is such a beautiful country. You will be spoilt for inspiration on what to record.

Bead and Needle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina @ TinyBear said...

I´m leaving on vacation in just 4 days for a trip to Amsterdam and definitely have to have some sewing stuff with me too. And a journal - ofcourse I need a journal too. Why didn´t I think of that. I actually always have one with me, and totally forgot this time. I´ll have to go shopping for one on saturday.
Great post Jillayne. I hope you´ll have a wonderful trip to France.

Bead and Needle said...

Giverny and Monet's Gardens, for sure...yes, THOSE would be at the top of my list, for sure. Vegas had a fabulous collection of Monet's come through here a few years back...I went to the exhibit over and over, and was just mesmerized. I can't even begin to think what I would do there, in real life?!!! Lucky girl!

Diane said...

Jillayne, I hope you're able to absorb all of that energy and bring it back with you too! I totally agree that places have "something" that inspires. Otherwise, why would certain places draw artists to them. I don't think it's "just" the light. It's more than that. Indefinable. Maybe it's just the hopes and expectations we bring with us on a journey? I know you are sure to take many, many photos to bring home as reminders and nudges.
Hugs, Diane

Suztats said...

Lovely post, Jillayne! I hope you harness the energy and emotions of each place that speaks to you on your journey. It is said the light in Provence is spectacular, but I agree with Diane, that sometimes it may be our hopes and dreams that accompany us that creates that spark.
My artspirations? To be able to recreate my feelings about any subject and have it live in the creation, to have it almost tangible upon a canvas or in a CQ, or sketch, to make my creations live and breathe so others recognize what I'm trying to share.
May you and yours have a Happy Easter.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh Jillayne, your posts as always inspire and energize! I can't think of anyone better suited to traveling in France and truly appreciating all that it's art and history has to offer. Enjoy my dear friend, I can't wait to read of your 'artspirations' when you return. Top of my artspiration list? To be able to take brush in hand and freely and joyfully express what my eye sees and what my heart feels. But then, isn't that what any artist would wish for? Thanks for your thought provoking post (as always), Deb

Maggie said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip to France.... My brother spent many months in Paris and he said it is a beautiful place to visit, so much history and the people are so wonderful, he even married a girl from there and brought her home. The stories he has told me, I know you will love it. Talk about a bucket list that is definately on my list. I am excited to hear of your Artspirations when you get back.
Happy Easter I will miss you at the demo's
hugs
Maggie

Dorthe said...

Dearest Jillayne-
Walking in the footsteps of both the bad and the good-from long ago- from M.A. to Napoleon-to.......
"listen" to long beautiful robes being swepped over the streets-and the yelling from street sellers....oh you surely will catch a certain inspiration in the streets of Paris- not found any where else .
I would love to be there ,too.
Wishing you a lobely easter, dear friend.
Hugs,Dorthe

FredaB said...

Hi jillayne

I just wanted to wish you a Happy Easter (even with that darn snow) and have a wonderful trip if I don't get back again before you leave.

Spring in Paris - what more could you ask for.

We have a lot of Plein air painters here in Florida. In fact we had them come to one of the homes on our garden tour a couple of years ago and they painted while people toured the gardens. They even sold some pieces. It was just a nice little extra.

Hugs

FredaB

Michelle May (Shell) said...

This is going to be such a fabulous adventure for you. Indeed places do have energy and I can hardly wait to travel through your journal with you. How fun!
xx, shell