Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Monday's Late-Musement - Will Quilt For Winel

A few days ago I received a desperate phone call from a long-time quilting student of mine...
She had signed up for a round robin, where each participant provides a centre-piece and then the quilt travels throughout the group with each person adding a border.



Above is the centre started by someone in her group and my friend was to add the first border, which had to be 8 1/2" wide and needed to have triangles.

The measurements of this centre block are a little odd so it was kind of hard to come up with a block pattern that would fit on the sides as well as the top and bottom, and needless to say, it didn't.

And so the phone call... did I know of anyone, anyone at all, that might consider, would think about, could possibly... 


So I said yes. And then I found out she owns a winery...

So I was promptly delivered of a centre block, orphan blocks from the first border attempt, a pile of fabrics, and a bottle of red and a bottle of white to set me on my way.

The tulips above are the start of what I am doing and I am about to head off to finish up so as to meet the April 1 deadline.

Round Robins can be a lot of fun and I was thinking it might be fun to do something like that with collage.
Each participant would start a collage, and then within a prescribed group, it would get passed around with each person making a contribution to it before passing it along. When all is said and done, your collage that you started would come back to you to finish and to keep. It's fun to see what other artists would add to your work, and can be very inspiring. I'm thinking four people for each group, with one starting and then the other three adding to it in turn. It wouldn't happen until June though...

What do you think? Any takers?

8 comments:

Suztats said...

Hmmmm, sounds like an interesting idea! I think it could be a lot of fun. Hey, if it's a go, please sign me up, Jillayne!!

Marj Talbot said...

No one better to give a call to than you Jill. Your tulips are a terrific idea and are very suitable for this project.
Enjoy the wine!!

Bead and Needle said...

You will be posting an "end product" picture, right? Love the tulips idea...enjoying the libations before or after the piecing? Tanya

Diane said...

Me! Me! Yes! I'm interested in a round robin collage!

And I love this windmill patch! Some lucky person is going to be the recipient of a lovely project! And you, my friend, receiving a bottle of red and one of white...not a bad trade-off! ;-)

Hugs, Diane

Dorthe said...

Jillayne, you are the sweetest- and your student must be so happy, to be helped out ,with your beautifull work-

About the round robin collage,-I think it is a great idea-- and even I`m bussy in june I would love to take part-if you take participants from other countryes :)
Hugs, dear Jillayne-
Dorthe

MosaicMagpie said...

I am in! This sounds like so much fun!
Great job on helping out with the RR. Love the blocks you are adding.
Deb

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I would love to participate. Of course, I also work for wine. ;)
Cool!!
xx, shell

FredaB said...

Count me in and a belated Happy Birthday. What a wonderful gift from your great guy. You are a youngster girl and your best years are still ahead.

Hugs

FredaB