Thursday, March 10, 2011

Concoctions and Confessions

This story begins at Christmas long ago...

I know, I know, we're all wanting Spring but this is supposed to be my Year of Preparedness... 


It first started when my children were very small, smaller even than they can remember they ever were, and they began helping to decorate the Christmas Tree. Once all the decorations were hung, and the memories were shared, it came time to put the presents under the tree - but first of course the tree skirt.

Except we didn't have one. 

I couldn't find one I liked well enough to buy and never seemed to have gotten around to making one for myself.

So we rummaged in the fabric cupboard until we found a piece big enough to do the job, pressed it well and draped it around the base of the tree, covering the stand and tucking all the selvages and raggedy bits underneath. And so a tradition was born... every year someone (often, but not always me as I knew what wouldn't be needed for the few weeks of multi-tasking) would pick out the tree skirt.

Now we have two trees, one small one that sits on an end table and another bigger one that stands on the floor. And so now, I have to select and press not one tree skirt, but two.


Enough of that nonsense, I decided, time to make something for myself. And this is what I'm concocting for the little tree. A Dresden Plate design all in creamy beiges and taupes. I  just have to sew them together into a circle and then applique to it's base - a beautiful brown wool with a tiny check - love it!


I cut way more than I needed so I could play with placement, and since it's for me I used some last treasured bits of favourite fabrics.


If you click on the one above you will get a better view of the fabrics and the wool backing. I'm thinking I'd like to make a smaller one for a table centre, using plainer muslin and then embroidering the seams? Opinions? Suggestions?

Now for the confessional part of the post...

Sherry from Creatology said I was the best for sharing honestly so others may learn from my mistakes... in keeping with that, here's what happens when you don't keep your area neat!


After you sew something and then turn it over to trim the edges, you find a wayward piece of fabric has worked it's way in. Five minutes of unpicking and re-sewing later, all the while reminding myself of the merits of clearing off your worktable every once in a while!

Or, inspect both sides before sewing!

9 comments:

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh my gosh I love your design for your tree skirt. The color combo is stunning. I love the brown with the Dresden plate design colors.

I thought I was the only one who needed to clear off the work table. LOL!! Glad to see I am not alone.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs and blessings.
Celestina Marie XO

Createology said...

Jillayne you are too funny and I love your sewn mistake on the backside. Have I ever done that? YES! Your beige fabrics are beautiful and look stunning on the brown for your tree skirt. How nice to be completing this now so it will be ready come December.
P.S. Thank you for linking me. Bring Spring Sunshine and Birds who Sing...

Laura said...

I hope that next Christmas you aren't working so much so we can have a tree decorating party :-) I'll never forget the year you made us string cranberries and popcorn...

Diane said...

LOL! I've done it too! What goofs we are!
Now...to the tree skirt...it's much too pretty to put away until December...so...when you finish it, why not wrap it around the base of a table lamp! All your beautiful work should see the light of day and be appreciated all year long. Hmmm....sounds like a new product in the making...lamp skirts. ;-)
Beautiful, Jillayne. I always love your fabric choices.
Hugs, Diane

Marj Talbot said...

Too funny - yes I've experienced that wayward piece of fabric. Very annoying but funny. The dresden plate is terrific - I've always liked that design but have never made one. With your colour choices it could be a table topper or a lamp base - depending on it's size. It would be a fun idea to embroider all the seams - lots of work but would be a nice touch. Love it and thanks for sharing.

MosaicMagpie said...

A picture is worth a thousand words and also a good laugh! How many sewing errors have any of that sew made? All you can do is shake your head, do some unsewing and move on to the next project. The tree skirt will be beautiful and will be a treasure.
Deb

Michelle May said...

I am looooooooooooooving, I mean looooooooooooving that tree skirt!!! That wool is gorgeous and so perfect with those fabrics!!!
I can't tell you how many times I have sewn stuff to the back of a project by mistake. Oy!
xx, shell

Dorthe said...

Jillayne,
Uhhh,I did that with my dolls,too
----many times----
when want to hurry, things alwayes happens-and not good ones, lol
Your skirt is so lovely looking, --like Diane sayes, it is a shame to tug it away, until christmas- the colors also going with all year, -it is beautifull, dear.
have a cosy week-end,
Hugs, Dorthe

Becky said...

This project looks like it requires a lot of patience and careful hands. I admire your ability to create such perfectly balanced pieces.