Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Puttering Away

I come from a long line of putterers.
Puttering's fun; you accomplish things but they're never serious tasks and there is no urgency - almost like dilly-dallying but you do get somewhere, eventually...


For the past few days I have been puttering in my Sewing Room because for months I have been singing the same old song - "It's such a mess I can't stand to work in it!"

I got tired of listening to myself so I can't imagine how friends and family have put up with me for so long. So I puttered away and it's much better.


Today I'm working at finishing this piece - needle felting, felt applique and embroidery - started about two years ago for a Demo and then sat, waiting for today.


It will be a little wall hanging when I'm finished with it.


And I must say, it was pleasant working on it now I can see the entire surface of my work table.

When I was in the quilt shop the other day one of the girls asked me what I was up to. "Cleaning up the disaster I call my Sewing Room", I replied. "It's making me crazy!"

"Why should you be any different?" was the response.

"Because I want to be"

And therein lies the truth. I want to be more organized and know what I have and where it actually might be. Novel concept. 
I want to be content with what I have and not want more.
Goes back to my New Year's Aspirations.

And since I consciously stated a desire, I am finding it is the truth most of the time. It allows me to question what I'm thinking, doing, feeling every step of the way if I want to - I ask myself more and more "Will this get me where I want to go, will I be happier if I have it?" 

More and more the answer is no; I am already there.

11 comments:

Michelle May said...

Sounds like you are asking yourself some very good questions girlfriend. ;)
Dilly dally is good. It allows you time to think about things without the pressure of having to do something.
Love this piece.
xx, shell

Suztats said...

I love to putter, too, Jillayne, except I find myself getting distracted easily. Hmmm, you think that's how it's supposed to work? lol Nice post. Thanks

Becca said...

That's a beautiful wall hanging Jillayne!

Patty@sewingseeds said...

Puttering and dilly dallying, two of my favorite things. I love your question to yourself...especially will it help me get where I want to go? Your project looks beautiful.

Dorthe said...

Jillayne,
you write wonderfull!
I love your thoughts about,this and that- and your wonderfull conclusions, dear.
I wish I could come to the -NO- place,too when asking- :Do I need that?...
I love your "new" piece , the flowers are so beautifull, it will be a lovely wall hanger.
Big hug-Dorthe

FlowerLady said...

What an absolutely lovely piece. I love to putter and dilly-dally too. Right now my work surface needs being cleared off, so that I can start on the next project. I like to start fresh.

Happy Creating ~ FlowerLady

Tina Eudora said...

Oh I love it Jillayne! For some reason I have always loved applique, maybe it's the depth and dimension.I also love the header you have up, it's really lovely, special and so you!
Tina xo

Diane said...

Jillayne, I don't think I would have been happy with the response you got either. We all have a RIGHT to be different. Whether it's organized or not, however we choose to be, to act, to think, to believe - we have the right and the pleasure of being different. Sometimes it is a heavy load, this being different. But other times...OMGosh...what a BLESSING!
Good for you! This is a lovely puttered project!
Hugs,
Diane

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

You putter so beautifully. I enjoyed reading this post. I especially like the part of thinking before you buy. It is so true! A couple days later it will be totally out of your mind. Thanks for sharing your insight. Connie

The French Bear said...

You do putter so beautifully!!! I love this, it will make a gorgeous wall hanging or a quilt square....whichever way you choose to finish it, it is lovely!!!
I loved your post on Tuesday, I was running late so I had to come back and read it again, you do have an inquiring mind, I like that!!!!
Hugs,
Mags
xx

Shirley said...

I love the wall hanging you are working on at the moment. I have been a little busy lately so I haven't got to visit as much as I would like to nor embroidery in the evening quite like I normally do. I thought I would pop in and read a few blogs before I call it a day. It has been long with doctor visits and taking my hubby back to the nursing home. I just want to get him so he can come home. There is more about that on my blog. Take care and have a good day. Your Missouri Friend.