Monday, February 28, 2011

'Musing Mondays

The sun is shining and the snow is falling...
and I am really not amused at all.
Spring and Winter are having their yearly tug-of-war and I feel caught in the middle; yearning to be out playing in the dirt, feeling the warmth of the sun, but finding ways to enjoy these last few inside days...
silk and velvet cuff

Like finishing this silk and velvet cuff I showed you a while back; I added torn black silk fabric ribbons to the top and bottom with just the frayed edges peeking over, and some vintage glass seed beads to the pink silk ribbons flanking the centre band. A little more detail but not much, still keeping with the overall simplicity of the piece.


I also made a case for it and today's 'Musement was to make a new-to-me flower: silk dupionne cut on the bias and ruched along just one edge. I love the look and it's even easier to do than the regular ruched flowers I have made before. The silk holds it's shape beautifully and is surprisingly easy to gather...


The edge that isn't ruched is simply gathered after the ruching is completed and a beautiful flower with a fairly plain, flat centre is formed; perfect for a charming vintage button echoing the flower theme.


The colour of the silk perfectly matched the colour of the pleated ribbon in centre band of the cuff itself, although none of the beautiful texture of the silk is evident, lost in all the tucks and gathers...


I have to say I am delighted with how this one turned out; it's what I had in my mind when I started out and didn't require 47 gut-wrenching decisions to get there!

The only thing left to do is list it in my Etsy shop and then size it for the purchaser, and then, and only then, can I count it "Done"!

5 comments:

Suztats said...

It's lovely, Jillayne. Simplicity of design, beautifully executed.

Diane said...

Jillayne, the ruching is gorgeous!!!! That is so hard to do! You nailed it! And once again, I adore the way you did the perpendicular design instead of going the length of the cuff. So unique! Your work is always in your signature style...which what is attracted me to your work in the first place.
I hear you about the snow! Although we had rain today. The snow is once again dirtied, the sky gray, the temperatures raw. Where IS spring? My friend Beth in NC already has blooming plants! No bulbs are sprouting here yet and I'm sure are farther behind up where you are.
Keep the faith! Spring always comes, just not at our pace. *sigh*
Hugs, Diane

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Lovely Jillayne, your ruched dupionne silk flower is beautiful! It is sunshine snowing here as well, what crazy weather. I am so ready for Spring, so glad tomorrow is the first day of March, hope we march right on into warm weather soon! Deb

Createology said...

This cuff is lovely and the black is stunning. Your ruched flower is amazing and I cannot imagine how you made it. You have really created beauty.

Marj Talbot said...

Exquisite as usual. The ruched flower is terrific - very delicate. It looks like a flat centre like you say - good one for a demo you think??? It's very very nice.
Keeping up with your stubbornly determined and waste not want not philosophy, I have taken the project from file 13 and it is on it's way to completion.
You inspire!!