Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Monday's 'Musement - Remembering

I have been distracted of late, hence the lateness of this post.

memories have been flooding through my mind...


memories of Spring...
we are still in Winter here but with a warming trend the past few days I am yearning for warm, sunny days


memories of time well spent making beautiful things...
memories of stories of a Great-Great Grandmother, Julia, who also had a love for needle and thread


memories of my trip to the Yukon last year and one special morning spent at the Pioneer Cemetery.
It's a quiet place, just off the main street, nestled close to the clay banks; car engines are a distant rumble and the wind blows softly, a very green place with some of the largest trees I have ever seen up there...
A mother and daughter buried together, one birth year and one death year on the stone encompass two lifetimes, and a single word
"Mother"
for them both.

I have spent many happy hours doing family research instead of sewing and I was rewarded with finding much about these two women who travelled to a new world, and then on to an isolated Territory.
A daughter seeking a new life and her mother who couldn't bear to give her completely to a far-off country.

Roots...

4 comments:

Laura said...

I wanted this post to keep going and going. It reminded me that I wish Do had been buried there for 3... just think - you would be 5th and I would be 6th generation. All in the homeland where we belong... <3 <3 <3

paperbird said...

Beautiful post Jilliane.
I love doing family research and would love to visit some of the cemeteries.

Take care,
xo
Lorraine

Michelle May said...

Incredible. Love this post girlfriend.
xx, shell

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne
Such a beautifull cemetary-
So exiting to dig, in family history, and be able to find the story ,of people now gone.
Blessings,Dorthe