Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Tale of Two Pincushions

So here we are, five days in and I'm feelin' pretty good...
might be six days of yoga everyday (yep, I started before New Year's),
might be all the closets I've purged, cleaned and reorganized,
or,
it might be an almost tidy sewing room that I just spent a happy afternoon in...
Now that's the path to contentment!

Today I finished off these,


Two little paper-pieced Dresden Plate pincushions, one for my friend Marj and the other for Lucille. 
They have been waiting a long time for these - they're lucky I resolved what I did for this year, or they'd likely be waiting even longer... I made the tops last May, lost them in the mess of my Sewing Room and found them again about a month later. 
I hiked to the store and got the fabric for the bottoms and the sides, which I promptly lost, again, in my Sewing Room. 
Found the fabrics again in September during another cleaning binge but then couldn't remember where I had safely tucked the tops... this idiocy went on for another two months and finally at the end of December I actually had both parts in my hands at the same time!


They have no idea which one is for whom but I do and I ain't tellin' - they'll have to wait for Thursday!


One of my resolutions was to finish more things than I start so I am happy to cross these two off my list.
By the way, the list started at 99 - ick.
And that was after I purged all the things I have no interest whatsoever in finishing.
So I am on a mission - finish all of them by June 30. Some need a lot of work, others very little but still and all, none are done.

The last thing I want to tackle is my fabric - I need to use more than I buy - which will be a novel concept for me. 
In order to be able measure my success, and remind myself that I want these changes to have a lasting and profound effect rather than just being "Engine In A Can", I have added a box to my sidebar where I will record my progress. 

And finally, in December I was lucky enough to be chosen for this give away by Kaari Meng of French General. On her blog The Warp and the Weft she offered a quilt kit as a give away and she and her daughter chose me!


It came parcelled up in this lovely fabric bag,


oodles of fabric, a quilt label, tags and the pattern complete with a template,


I'm a big fan of her fabrics and I was incredibly touched to be chosen. I can't wait to dig in to this pile of goodies...
Ah but yes, that would be starting something, wouldn't it!

11 comments:

Diane said...

This are sweet, Jillayne. And wow on the new banner! I guess you've come up out of the dust now! ;-)
Congratulations on the French General win. I've bought some of their fabrics from their online shop and still haven't decided exactly what to do with them. I guess they now qualify as "stash". ;-)
Hugs,
Diane

FlowerLady said...

What dear sweet pincushions. You did a lovely job on them.

FlowerLady

The French Bear said...

Great little pin cushions, sigh...I do love pin cushions!
You did a fabulous job on them!
Winning from the French General...that is really grand, I love to shop there and I love to read her books, lucky you to win her fabric....what will you make?
You have made a good start, keep going!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Lucille said...

What a beautiful pin cushion. I can't wait to get mine. Thank you.

Shirley said...

I enjoyed reading your blog tonight. I really like the pin cushions and I am glad I am not the only one that loses things. I usually say I put it where I can find it and then I can't. I will be anxious to see what you do with your pretty win. Have a great day. Your Missouri Friend.

Marj Talbot said...

Both pincushions are really nice. Good job!! Can't wait to get mine either!! Thanks very much.
Congratulations on your win. It will be interesting to see what you make with it - it will be hard to cut into such beautifull fabric.

Wendy said...

You have 99 UFOs?? Wow, that must be a record! I wish you best of luck in finishing them and can't wait to see them appearing on your blog. Love the pincushions.

Riki Schumacher said...

Hi jillayne, thanks so much for dropping by! You are entered in my contest. I see you're in BC. I live in the San Juan Islands in the summer months, love the northwest. OMG are you an amazing sewer. I love what is on your blog heading! I'm not a seamstress, I'm a jewelry maker, but love the theme of this and want to try to make something from the heart. Take care, look forward to seeing everyone's creations. Riki

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne-
Oh friend--you can start your beautifull win from French General... You could not live with "only" finishing your old projects,--but making something new,something special, in between-will inspire and give lots of creative power, to the old starts,and make them finished.
The gifts, are so sweet, -I love your beautifull work-and know how time consuming it is, as I have paperpieced, too--
Your friends will love them, Jillayne.
Hugs, and kis-Dorthe

Michelle May said...

Well let's see...6 days of yoga..very good! Cleaning your sewing room..very good! Winning a fabulous prize...very good! Yep, I do believe you are off to a very good start indeed. I believe you will accomplish your goal by June for sure!
xx, shell

Patty@sewingseeds said...

I'm with you on the resolve to use what I have and give away what no longer interests me. It feels good to use and purge. My goal is to not buy anything new unless I need it to finish a project already started. I wish us both luck...I have a feeling we will be needing it. Love your Monday idea!