Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday's 'Musement - Wired!

Well.

What I'm about to post is not quite what I had in mind for today.... a few things got in the way today.... more on that later, for now, here's what I've been up to...

I bought this issue last Spring and promptly drove an hour and 15 minutes to the nearest Michael's to get some supplies - I was that inspired!


These little clay hearts by Becky Shander are so sweet and since general instructions were provided...


I found the clay, the ink, the snowy goopy stuff (which is downright nasty to work with), wire, and beads.


I made the clay hearts the next day, managed to get them painted and "snowy" over the next week and then they sat... I was at the hard part... 


wire and beads!

I can bead just fine with a needle and thread but jewellery techniques - I know nothing. As evidenced in the picture above, which you will have to click on.

But I'm trying to finish things and these babies were on the list...

First I cut the wire too short, then I tried to form the hanging loop freestyle (that's why it looks like a squashed melon), managed to get two beads on and realized the second wire was to short.
Start all over again...longer wire, use care when forming the loop, get all three beads on, then twist the wire and manage to squish the loop, which can't be unsquished. 
Cut the wire, pull the beads off and start again.

Cut an even longer wire, form loop around a pencil, all three beads on, wire nicely twisted and trimmed, ready to put through hole in heart.

The third time really is the charm!

Hole through heart is sealed.
Poke open with pin, coat beaded hanging loop with glue and insert in hole.



"faith" tells me if I persevere I will get it right


"dream" of a perfect hanging loop 

Jewellery making is serious business I have discovered, and now I would like to do more. But first I need to perfect my loops...

So back to my best intentions.

I bought Photoshop Elements 9 last Thursday, only to discover I didn't have the right operating system on my computer. After a bit of back and forthness with the local computer store I was booked in for an upgrade today.

So the first thing in my way of Monday's 'Musements was no computer... until suppertime.

I loaded Photoshop whilst trying to conjure something for dinner and managed to get both done, reasonably well. Started playing around a bit after until my dear daughter poked her head around the corner at 7:15 and said "Gym?". Ick.

But I went, and dreamed of lovely edited, enhanced pictures as I stumbled along on the treadmill.

Next week I'm going to Staples for supplies- I am in need of the "easy" button!

17 comments:

Laura said...

Don't even pretend like you're not glad you went!

I stand by my original idea for a set of 3 hearts with "Pray" "Hope" and "Dream". They are so cute that one is not enough!

Tina @ TinyBear said...

Love the hearts Jillayne. They turned out really pretty.
I have been wanting a Photoshop program too - just still haven´t had the courage to buy one yet. Looking forward to hear what you think of it.
xo Tina

Dorthe said...

Jillayne, your hearts are so sweet and cute, how big are they ?- you made them so lovely.
That mag looks great.
How are Photoshop? :) I guess you need a bit more time, before you can answer that ,my dear -hihi
I wish you many wonderfull houers exploring.
Hugs,Dorthe

Wendy said...

You lost me at the mention of Photoshop ! (I don't "do" computers...) but your hearts are adorable, they've turned out so well.

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Your hearts are beautiful. I wanna make some! Or at least something like them ;o)

I'm with some of the other ladies ~ phew, Photoshop. I can barely edit my cookie cutter blog.

Thanks for sharing!

MosaicMagpie said...

Oh, dear friend, how I can relate. I too have stumbled upon projects that call to my soul, that I must create. I frantically buy the necessary supplies, sometimes I even begin the creation process...then interest wanes or life gets in the way.
So, congratulations on finding these and finishing them. They turned out great...there is just something about a heart isn't there?

Photoshop is on my to do list as well. As soon as I figure out my camera that is!
Loved the post!
Deb

Diane said...

LOL! I can relate to the easy button! Jewelry with wire can be tricky! Those little rings...I never seem to close them correctly and things fall off. Guess that's why I stick to making my pins - all needles and threads. lol

Hugs, Diane

Patty@sewingseeds said...

Good for you that you finished a year old project. The little hearts turned out so pretty. I suppose jewelry making is like any other art form, it just taking doing it over and over again. I usually end up keeping my first tries because I learned so much in the process and I know where all the oops are. Have a wonderful day!

The French Bear said...

They turned out great, I love the hearts, you did really good for the first time. what a pretty idea for so many other things.....those little hearts could be embellishment of so many things!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Tina Eudora said...

Oh! they turned out beautiful Jillayne, and just in time for a Valentine's tree! Hope you make more to show...
Tina xo

oldgreymare said...

Fabulous perseverance and patience. I tend to throw things at the wall or under the table... lol

Have you noticed the sock in my studio...?

xx
z

gm glimmerglass said...

When the page loaded with the headline - "wired" I was geering up for a Starbucks post! :-)

I have taken a total of one jewelry class from the amazing Amy Hanna, no less, and that is my first and last try. I did manage to make something beautiful, (because I started with pretty things) but, the convolutions involved left me cross-eyed.

I salute you in your efforts and would say you are off to a good start.

Genevieve

P.S. My dear youngest son told me this when he was ten. "See? You can tell that Canadians ARE smarter than us! They say "whilst".

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
WOW these are wonderful. I can appreciate the trial and error of any project having started over many times. LOL
However you stayed with it and the results awesome.
Perfect for Valentines and year round. Your talents for creating the pretties are always amazing.
Keep having fun.
So nice to see you and thank you for stopping by.
Hope this new year is wonderful for you and yours and filled with many blessings.
Hugs from Bitter Cold Texas,
Celestina Marie

Michelle May said...

I think you did an excellent job. I love how your hearts turned out. I guess that saying, "try, try, again" is true.
Instead of the "easy button" I think I'm going to make one that says "crap!" as I tend to say "oh crap" more than "that was easy."
xx,shell

Becca said...

Well this is absolutely lovely Jillayne! I have never purchased that magazine before, but Becky's projects are so inspiring how can you resist? You did a great job and it looks like fun, now I want to get out my clay and play!

Monica@The White Bench said...

Oh, you did an amazing job with those hearts! They are so cute I'd loove to try them too!! Thanks for sharing that amazing magazine!
Monica x.

marie said...

Thanks for mentioning Becky's blog Jillayne. I visited her for the first time last week and I love it! She has so many wonderful ideas ~ I can't wait to try some of them.

Your little hearts are so sweet. I'd like to try one and out the word "simplify" on it.