Friday, January 14, 2011

The Art and Accomplishments of Perseverance

Stubborn.

As an ox, as a mule, as a true blue Yukoner.

You have to be stubborn to live through six weeks of average temperatures  of -35 degrees Celsius. I've done that more than once, more than twice even. Which is partly why I don't live there anymore.

But when I picked up, packed up and move to sunnier, warmer climes, I brought my stubbornness with me.

Good thing too, because I have just met up with Photoshop.

Holy Cow!!!

This post is really supposed to be about my friend Diane Knott who sent me this for Christmas...


a beautiful lavender filled pincushion

It smells heavenly and looks even better. 
I have had it for a few days, which is exactly how long it has taken me to figure out how to edit the photo and get it uploaded to my blog. 
You just can't show a lovely gift like this with a crummy picture and as my picture-taking abilities are sadly lacking, I need the photo editor in a big way.

It has been a humbling experience ("Help" and I are not friends - I ask you - how do you get help when you don't even know what to call what it is that you want to know!!??!)

Anyhow - I persevered and this what I did!


I love pictures with words and I have wanted to do this for a very long time!

I can't even find the original, unedited photo, so the one at the top is how it looks after some doctoring and the one directly above is my first attempt at adding writing.

I am so pleased to be able to show you Diane's lovely work for the gift that it is.

Diane, you have inspired me beyond measure and I am so grateful for your kindness, thoughtfulness and generosity. 

And to the "cussedest land that I know" - 

I am grateful for teaching me that giving up is not an option!

14 comments:

Dorthe said...

Hi sweet Jillayne, you made me smile big, this morning.....
And I love your photoes, you are on the road ,dear-it is so beautifull with the text, and Diane made you a very lovely pillow.
I wish you a wonderfull week-end with happy -read stubborn - houers :)
p.s. Thanks for the list, Jillayne, I will go through them today, and come back. Smiles, Dorthe

MosaicMagpie said...

Stubborn....one of the best qualities a person can have. It allows seeing things through to completion! Glad you stuck it out. A lovely photo of a great little pincushion. What a nice gift!
Deb

The French Bear said...

Good for you, although you know we have had those temps over here all week!!!
Diane made you a lovely little pin keep, bet the lavender smells delightful!
I hate photoshop, I am taking a course and I haven't learnt anything......maybe it's the Mac or just me but I cannot get it right....so I use picnik, it's much more user friendly!
Hugs,
Mags
xx

Diane said...

Jillayne, I'm so glad you like it and that it FINALLY got out of Customs! You did great with Photoshop! I have NO clue how to add text there. I have another program that I find very simple to put words on things and my tech guy added it to my new computer. I had him remove Photoshop because every time I looked at it I was stumped. So good for you for persevering! All on your own!
And your photos always look beautiful even without it.
Hugs,
Diane

Robin said...

You are such a lucky girl to have one of Diane's beautiful pincushions. She created an absolutely stunning one for you. Your pics look wonderful....speaking from a photo challenged person. Hope you have a fantastic weekend.

Hugs,
Robin

Michelle May said...

Congratulations! You did a great job! Made me laugh about the "help" part. Hello!! Totally feel the same way!
A beautiful gift from your friend. I'm gonna hop over and visit her.
xx, shell

Marj Talbot said...

That is the most beautifull pincushion for sure. One would hate to "stick" it with anything. Thanks for your "determination" and sharing the picture of it.

Suztats said...

That's a gorgeous pin cushion, and lavender just makes it better! I haven't used photoshop, so kudos for sticking with it! The pics look great.

Becca said...

What a lovely pin cushion Diane sent you, and the lavender scent is wonderful isn't it? How are you doing with PSE9? Don't get frustrated, your photos look great! Just take it one step at a time, and maybe you would like Kim Klassens skinny mini course (her info is on my side bar) she shows you videos and tips. Hope you are having a great weekend!

Laura said...

Turned out great! I'm awfully proud of you :-)

Secret Garden Cottage said...

What a beautiful gift your dear friend has sent you, Jillayne, and congratulations on figuring out Photoshop! Your pics look great!
Have a wonderful weekend!
~ Jo :)

Shirley said...

I have been trying to find a friendly editing program for my pictures and your blog today made me think of the challenges that I go through. Maybe one of these days. Your pictures turned out great. I did chuckle a little because it just reminded me of how I felt at times. Have a great Sunday. Your New Missouri Friend.

CosmoGirl Carla said...

What a beautiful piece of art. The pics look great too. I'm actually afraid of Photoshop! It seems so daunting. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.

Becky Shander said...

Diane's pincushion is gorgeous, and what you did with the photo turned out terrific. Good for you for not giving up. And the clay hearts that you made (in previous post) are very beautiful...I love the words you chose.