Friday, December 31, 2010

Endings



Thanks for a year that has passed.

I have always been better at beginnings than endings, yet I have always loved New Year's Eve better than New Year's Day... perhaps it has something to do with when the party gets started...or perhaps it has to do with the quiet reflections that steal over us at this time of year. 
New years are for new hopes, new wishes and the belief of things better to come, but first we seem to need to look back, reflect, and remember, before we can restore...

2010 was a hard year, with some great sorrow, but still with some happy times. I think it's that mix that makes us resilient, better able to withstand the slings and arrows of life and face adversity until it backs away, no matter long we must stare it down.

By far the greatest sorrow was losing Sina, who was Steve's mom, my daughter's boyfriend's mother. She left a hole in many lives, of course his especially, and it can only be filled by her love, even if it isn't an active love, but the legacy of a love given.
I think of her often Steve, and I think of you.

The fire was the only other hard thing and it really wasn't that hard; we didn't lose anything and were really only inconvenienced for a short time. And at the end of it all, we have a beautiful new roof. 
It did make me think though about how close we were to losing things, especially all my seemingly precious possessions in my Sewing Room, which is across the hall from where the fire started. 
It made me look at everything differently - what mattered, what didn't and then I wondered why I would have things I didn't care about, want or need - I just "had" them.

And so here I am, on the cusp of the New Year, taking some time to look back on the old. Looking for clarity, understanding, and insight so that I might find peace, contentment and joy in all people, and all things.

I hope that is what you find in 2011 and beyond.

12 comments:

marie said...

Lovely post Jillayne!
Happy New Year to you and your family!!

The French Bear said...

Jillayne, how true, may the dawn bring lots more of happiness and love.....
Hugs,
Margaret B

Tina @ TinyBear said...

Wishing you a wonderful and Happy New Year Jillayne. I hope the new year will be an amazing and wonderful one for you.
xo Tina

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
loosing friends makes us every time a little bit more lonely-as they can never be replaced-but yes we can still feel the love from them!
Dear friend, I hope your 2011, will be filled with happy houers, love from around you, and from abowe, and joy.
Hugs, and kiss from Dorthe

Suztats said...

A lovely, thoughtful post, Jillayne. Losing someone close is painful, but I think it teaches us to love more our remaining family and friends, and cherish them daily. Wishing you a blessed New Year!

Marj Talbot said...

Happy New Year and sincere wishes for health and prosperity to all in 2011. Happy crafting and thanks for sharing thoughts, ideas, and friendship.

Shirley said...

Happy New Year My New Friend, It is hard when you lose someone during the holidays, but it makes us look at our lives differently. I have been there. Fires make us all look at what if it would happen to me, I don't think I could ever replace all of my crafts that I have to do and have done. This year is looking up and hopefully it will be a wonderful year. Have a great weekend. Your New Missouri Friend

Laura said...

You, my dear Mother, have a way with words. Beautiful post! Losing your loved ones.. losing your things.. losing your way.. all of it gives you nothing but perspective. I'm so glad 2010's over but I probably learned more from it than all of the other years put together!

XOXO

Patty@sewingseeds said...

What a beautiful post and so true...Happy New Year.

Patty@sewingseeds said...

What a beautiful post and so true...Happy New Year.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Wishing you peace, wishing you joy, wishing you and yours love and contentment. Happy New Year Jillayne, Deb

Monica@The White Bench said...

Jillayne,
thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely words.
This post truly touched me. Thank you for your gentle reminder about what really matters.
I wish you a fabulous, sparkling New Year, filled with love, peace, contentment in the little things and a happy heart!
Monica x.