Thursday, December 9, 2010

Artful Thursday - Framed!

A few weeks ago while browsing in a local store on my half-hour lunch break, (which by the way, is a very wise thing to do as it's hard to get in a lot of trouble in less than 30 minutes) I found this pretty little frame. It looks old but is brand spanking new, and I paid dearly for that new-old look let me tell you!


$19.95 and worth every shiny nickel. The design area is 4" so enough scope for a small bit of embroidery...


I think the reason I liked it so much is that it looks a bit like mercury glass.
So I found some linen and set to work.
Below is a sample fabric (not linen, but even-weave) to show how you can cut nice and straight on the grain when using an even-weave fabric, which I think most linens are - at least the ones for needlework are. 
You make a small cut about 1/2" or some from the edge and then carefully separate one thread and gently pull it, all the way through. That leaves a "channel which is clearly visible in the photo below. Once you have created the channel, you can cut long it with either scissors or a rotary cutter. The reason I do it this way is so I can stitch on the piece and have it framed so the fabric is straight on it's "grain" - an important design element when framing a small piece!


The next picture shows the beginnings of my design: DMC silver metallic thread, and vintage carved mother-of-pearl button from Paris, metallic beads and tiny clear glass ones with more to come still...


The basting lines you see above will be removed when I am finished and ready to frame it. Again, with such a small design area, it is wise to measure off your design space and baste it - I am making a snowflake so I really needed to find the centre and then keep things symmetrical!


The button is not yellow like this in real life but the light was bad and I'm challenged and, and, and...
But if you click on it you can get a better sense of where this is going.

When I got home from work it was already dark so I will show the end result Sunday or Monday.

So far, I'm likin' it!

5 comments:

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Can't wait to see the finished work framed in that gorgeous frame. I can envision how delicate and pretty it's going to be!

Suztats said...

I'm liking it too! I'm interested to see it finished.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

That will be the perfect frame for your beautiful piece of Art, Jillayne!
Have a great weekend!
~ Jo :)

Alisa said...

It's looking so pretty already!
Thank you for the channel tip. I never would have thought of that!

Diane said...

Jillayne, this frame is gorgeous! I can see how it caught your eye...and your pocketbook! Can't wait to see the finished needlework!

Hugs, Diane