Thursday, December 30, 2010

Artful Thursday - A Day in Paris

This post could also be rightly titled "Artful Thursday - The Collaboration" because so many of the items I am using are from other talented bloggers...

It started with this post by Heather Bullard where I first saw the mini calendars by Little Brown Pen... 


I thought they would make sweet little gifts, with one for me of course...
They are just beautiful, with each month featuring a different picture of a Paris scene - but how to display them?
I thought of a business card holder but all the ones I saw were too hard, too sterile - no personality.
So I decided to make one, using all sorts of bits and pieces of this and that.


I started with a mini clipboard (6" x 8") and glued some batting to the front, notching out around the clip.

I interfaced a piece of chocolate linen (a Parisian calendar has to feature chocolate somehow or other - mais oui?) and laced it to the clip board, over top of the batting.

Then I started gathering all my treasures: vintage lace and key from Corey Amaro of Tongue in Cheek, Paris tags from Rhonda of A Little Bit French, Bonjour ribbon from Kaari Meng of French General, Eiffel Tower stamp from here, and the horseshoe shaped pin and buttons are from Cobwebs Antiques


Nothing is stuck down yet - I am playing with the layout and still trying to fit everything in. I have in my mind something like a travel trunk where stickers are plastered all over it, or a mirror with bits and pieces of treasured memorabilia tucked in around the edges - kind of a collage but not quite... if that makes sense.


I can't decide whether to paint the little clothespin buttermilk or dark (big design decision huh?), but there will be a fine cord stretching between the two buttons and the calendar will clip to that with the clothespin - easy peasy to change it out each month.

As soon as I get it all stuck down I'll take a picture of it, in it's place - it will have to be soon though because January is a-comin'!

Also, Debbie of Mosaic Magpie is hosting a heart swap and I signed up, along with several other talented ladies. 
If you are a lover of artful hearts you should check it out - there's still time to join in the fun!

10 comments:

Createology said...

Oh Jillayne your Parisean calendar is tres chic. How about a gilded clothespin for that touch of glam? Fabulous idea and project. Happy Healthy and Blessed New Year...

The French Bear said...

Gorgeous!!! What the hay, paint it buttermilk and then antique it with the dark!!!!
Love the lace from Corey......we shop the same!
Happy New Year!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Shirley said...

I love your Paris calendar. I will be anxious to see it when you get it finished. I just wish I had a few more hours to try everything that I want to do. Happy New Year. Your Missouri Friend.

Dorthe said...

Jillayne,
it is beautifull, so love all you gathered, and looks so lovely on that brown background-what a wonderfull idea, with the mini clothpins- the treasures from here-and there, are all fantastic,dear.
I saw the hearth swap- and think I will join,too-just have tofigure out how to pay.
Have a wonderfull eve- and all the most possible best for 2011, dearest Jillayne.
I`m happy to have found you (thank`s Diane) and looks forward to many lovely houers with you next year.
Love and hugs, Dorthe

Diane said...

Jillayne, however you end up positioning everything, it's sure to be ooh-la-la French and pretty!
How about glittering the clothespin? ;-) I'm inspired! Thank you for also listing the other blog links. I will travel to them in a minute. Just wish I could travel to Paris too! *sigh*
Hugs,
Diane

Suztats said...

C'est tres bien! Great idea, Jillayne, and it looks wonderful! I love how you've brought all the different pieces together to make a cohesive piece. They were made for each other.

Robin said...

It's so beautiful Jillayne! I think the clothespin would look good with a crackle finish (cream underneath dark brown). Can't wait to see it completed, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Hugs,
Robin

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Jillayne, tres jolie! I can't wait to see your finished piece, I am sure it will be elegant as always! Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year and may 2011 bring you all peace, joy and good health. Thank you dear friend for thinking of my family, your kindness touches my heart. Deb

paperbird said...

Jillayne your project looks wonderful, I can't wait to see it completed. I received the sweet stocking I won from your blog giveaway. It is precious. It hangs on a metal bird knob in my kitchen. I left the tiny tag on because I thought it complimented it very well. Thank you so much for your generosity and for the handmade goodness!

Wishing you the very best in the new year.

PS.
I posted a picture of your stocking on my blog.

MosaicMagpie said...

So cute! I can't wait to see if complete either. What a great idea for a clip board! I love the new header too! Thanks also for mentioning the heart swap!
Debbie