Monday, November 1, 2010

Project Genesis - Garden Goop


Today I'm linking up with Suzan of oldgreymare for Project Genesis.

The first of each month Suzan and anyone who would like to participate, post about something pertaining to creating awareness to effect change; change in how we live on, enjoy, and make use of our beloved planet Earth.

I know gardening tips aren't relevant everywhere right now, but I am sure they are relevant somewhere so here goes:

I always liked to garden but was never very good at it. My son used to tell me my plants should come with chalk outlines because they would be dead soon, and he wasn't far off the truth. 

When we lived in the Yukon, my Mom was visiting once and asked where my compost was. "Don't have one; it's too cold and things will take decades to compost," I replied.

My mother is the smartest recycler I have ever known.
She calls it recycling now, but when I was a child she called it "waste not, want not" and that mantra has pertinence in all things.

She asked for my blender and did this:


A better look...


Added some water and made this...


I call it Garden Goop.

Took it outside and carefully scooped soil away from a plant (not too closely, so as not to disturb the roots) and poured some of her concoction in the depression...


She then scooped the soil back and assured me that in no time at all, that Goop would be composted and feeding my plants. With no smell. And she was right.

The hotter it is, the quicker the composting happens but since moving to Salmon Arm I have noticed another benefit. I have two half barrels on my patio, one gets full-on unrelenting sun from morning 'til night and the other gets it for 2/3 of the day. It seemed no matter what I planted in those barrels, the plants were in danger of being toasted, regardless of how much water I poured on them, or how well I fertilized them. My blender had broken before we moved and I didn't replace for a few years so wasn't making Garden Goop. 

Once I got a new blender and started burying my quick-compost around the plants, I noticed they tolerated the heat much better, in fact, they thrived on it. I had never grown such healthy, luscious plants, nor had such beautiful looking planters.
I think the Goop near the roots must act as a natural coolant and as it composts, it certainly helps the soil retain moisture much better too.


This is the mint plant in my herb garden. Big, beautiful and green.

Thanks to my Mom.

Suzan has a bag tutorial as her post today and you can go here to check it out, and the rest of the Project Genesis posts!

14 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, Jillayne, this is a FANTASTIC idea! Keeping veggie scraps in the house, even in a covered container, draws those pesky fruit flies! We DO have a compost pile in our garden. In fact, two of them. But you won't find me taking the scraps outside in the winter. This would actually be a great idea to do this even IN the winter because I could blend the scraps and just pour it onto the (frozen) ground and run in and out of the house quickly! By spring it would be soaked in and all the nutrients ready to work!
Thanks!!!
Diane

marie said...

Excellent tip! I can't wait to give this a try...like Diane I want my trips outdoors to be short! : )

oldgreymare said...

Garden Goop?

Who would have thought? I ADORE this idea and it relates back to Chania's to simplify things. Everyone can do this, should do this, and I for one WILL do this! Goodness knows I need help in the garden, after our horrible summer.

Your Mama is a wise woman, and You're wonderful for sharing this.

xxx

z

Olive Cooper said...

Why not? Kind of rushes the decompositon part. Mama does know best!

Suztats said...

I have done this for some time, and the results are fantastic! One word of caution, though-- pouring the blended 'scraps' on top of the ground may attract some pests even in the winter, if there are critters about in your area. Garden goop is good goop for plants and the soil.
Thanks Jillayne for sharing this.

Ellen aka Ella said...

I love this, because you can do it in small batches and put it out for the lovely plants to enJOY! Wonderful post; Thanks for sharing your GOOP~

Becca said...

What a great idea? Wonder...will it work in containers too? That mint plant is the biggest and prettiest I've ever seen!

Createology said...

Moms do know so much and are very smart aren't they! Everything old is new again...just with a different name. Happy gardening...

sewingseedscraftylife said...

I love this...I haven't gotten around to making a compost bin and this sounds very doable. I will definetly give it a try.

Jacqueline said...

Jillyanne...I love this! I will definitely be making Garden Goop come next spring (i've tidied up the garden for this year) including the grounds from my coffee machine.
I'll be hard pressed to decide what goes in the green bin every day and what I will keep for Garden Goop.

gm glimmerglass said...

I love this idea. I am going to try it in my window boxes too. They actually live through the winter if well mulched and they get full sun when the leaves fall away from the trees.

We also make manure tea, (poop+burlap bag+bucket+water) which I know, sounds lovely but I it relly seems to help the plants and microbes in the soil.

Thanks!

gm glimmerglass said...

I love this idea. I am going to try it in my window boxes too. They actually live through the winter if well mulched and they get full sun when the leaves fall away from the trees.

We also make manure tea, (chicken poop+burlap bag+bucket+water) which I know, sounds lovely but I it relly seems to help the plants and microbes in the soil.

Thanks!

gm glimmerglass said...

:-)
Excuse the double post,
I re-posted to clarify that it was :
CHICKEN Poop!

Maureen said...

Oh I love this idea. This way when I can't get to the compost bin in the winter, I can put it in the freezer in ziploc bags and then kick start the garden in the spring. Thank you!