Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lend Me Your Ear

Lend me your ear? Well, maybe not - I'm not sure about these ears...

Some of you were wondering what might be attached to the funky feet portrayed in my previous post....

Why, funky ears of course!


Four of these little fiends, er, I mean fellows, have been keeping me company over the past few weeks. They are bossy little dickens; highly opinionated about what they should be wearing and how their facial expression should look. Can't say as I blame them - how would you want to look if it would be forever?

I think "curious" so that's what I tried to do.


My family knows about my driftwood fetish, as does an accommodating neighbour who spends some time on the sea shore a few times a year. That made it easy when I wanted these guys to have driftwood canes... one is from Switzerland (yes, I went beach combing on Lake Maggiore!), one from Kananaskis near Calgary, one from Marsh Lake in the Yukon Territory (my most favourite place in the whole wide world) and one from an adventure with said neighbours on our very own Shuswap Lake. 

I like what I make to have meaning, even if it is only to me.


Funky hats...


Furry vests...


And a pleasing countenance...


And there's those feet again!


Pretty high in cute factor huh?


I only made four of these elves - they take a heck of a lot of time and I barely get my money back but they have "wow" factor so are a good Sale item.

The Manager of Cuteness likes them. He's also my husband and note I said "Manager of Cuteness", not "Cute Manager" - irritates the heck out of him.

I have had to bring some order and structure to these managers of mine or they will make me mental. So, I have, in no particular order, the Manager of Cuteness (husband Marc), Manager of Food and Beverages (daughter Laura), Wanna-Be Manager In Training (Lucille) and finally, the Original Manager aka Alpha Manager aka Manager to End All Managers, my good friend Glenda. She was the first and is the bossiest and the others have no idea what they are up against. She calls all the shots, keeps me on track, keeps me sane and pulls me back from the cliff when I want to throw myself off. She says I simply don't have time and can hurl myself later, when the Sale is done. A wise woman.

Less than two weeks to go now... more to come!

13 comments:

Createology said...

Oh these have such an incredible cute factor and way beyond. Super adorable and lots of fun. Loving them and their cute shoes. You really outdid yourself with these guys. Happy creating...

Debora said...

Super cute cute factor, Jillayne! :o)

Laura said...

Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooodness! I hope I am getting one of these for Christmas. If not, consider this your first special order!!! He's ADORABLE!!!

marie said...

Oh my! Definitely REALLY high in the cute factor!!

Maggie said...

They are so cute Jill...I never know what you will come up with next. What a talented lady you are!!!
hugs
maggie

Becca said...

They are so cute! I absolutely love the expression on his face! Sweet, and so much character!

Suztats said...

Absolutely adorable! I love the face and hair, and what an imagination you must have to create so many, different but wonderful items. No doubt your sale will be a smash! Wish I lived close enough to attend.

oldgreymare said...

Curious with a touch of mischievous thrown in for good measure.

Fabulous detail, but then I know you always remember the details.
Tell me more about the sale.

xxx

z

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Absolutely adorable! I love how you have incorporated your driftwood treasures into each elf, such a personal touch. I have to say I LOVE the ears; I've been designing some elves of my own and everything I draw looks like Mr. Spock from Star Trek! Yours are fabulous! Thanks for sharing your wonderful creations. Deb

Michelle May said...

Oh my gosh!! How cute! How cute! Love the ears and the feet best!
I also love the driftwood cane. What a perfect finishing piece!
xx, shell

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
What a darling fellow. He is so cute right from his ears to his sweet feet!! I just adore him. You are simply one talented lady. The driftwood cane makes him extra special. He makes me think of a little Irish lad. I bet he is good company!! What is his name? Did I miss that in your post?
So glad to hear your friend keeps you from going over the edge. LOL
Good luck with your sale and I hope you sell tons.

Have a wonderful and creative weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Wh

FredaB said...

Really cute little guys and I love the driftwood canes. Great idea.
I bet they will be gone in a second.
Maybe you should keep one as a sample and take orders or is that more then you want to do.

I wish I could be at your sale.

Hugs

fredaB

Diane said...

These are adorable, Jillayne. And you're right- things like this take a lot of time to get all the details.
Hugs, Diane