Monday, November 22, 2010

I Beg Your Pardon



Those are the first words to a song that runs through my head every time I see a rose; "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden" - comes with being a child of the 60's I think. Like every time I hear George Hamilton's name I think "A White Sport Coat...", but I digress...

My good friend Lucille is obsessed with felt. I can safely say whatever I want about her because she doesn't have her very own blog to say things about me back. (And she rarely comments here but may just make an exception now.... watch for it...)
So it was a given that she would pester me about making felt things for my Sale, and another given that I would oblige (she could easily make her own felt things but we craft vicariously through each other). Hence, pretty felt flowers.



I have to say I'm glad she pestered me about these - they are fun to make and don't take too long...I did find myself obsessing about getting the petals to pinch and curl and shape just so though. (I think I'm in a funky linguistic mood tonight!)
And then finding the right button! I confess to being a textile junkie and a button addict. When my three brothers and I were small and Mother was at her wit's end with us (we were "busy" kids, she says with a smile) out came the button box. The contents were divided into four piles and we searched and sorted and traded for hours. 
And over the years some dear, dear friends have gifted me with buttons and I treasure them all.


Three of these beauties have buttons purchased last week at a local fabric store and the other two have vintage buttons from my favourite store in Enderby B.C., which is closing at the end of the year. Bleah. I am thinking a field trip will be in order this weekend and if I am feeling bold I may just belly up to the button bar and ask how much for all?


And then I can get to work on that Rose Garden after all.


9 comments:

sewingseedscraftylife said...

Your little felt flowers are adorable. I had to laugh about your mom pulling out the buttons...when my grandson gets underfoot in my sewing room I too, pull out the buttons and he is happily entertained. Of course, tracking down the escaped buttons takes a little while.

Laura said...

You think you have time to spare to go to Enderby?? I'll have to have a chat with my co-managers...

Lucille said...

I agree with Laura.
I love the roses. They are perfect.

Dorthe said...

Jillayne,
they are so sweet, I love how you can make them curl, like real roses.
How sad your faworite shop closes, soon....is it the crisis?
Many small shops closes up here,too.
Wish you a lovely tuesday, dear Jillayne.
Hugs,Dorthe

Dezinaworld said...

Gorgeous flowers, so pretty and could decorate anything perfectly
hugs June xxxx

Diane said...

Jillayne, they're wonderful little bits to wear on a coat collar! I think every girl needs them in several colors!
Hugs,
Diane

Marj Talbot said...

Nice "roses".

What about using old earrings vs buttons? They could hold it on your collar or where ever you wanted to pin them.

Createology said...

Your felt flower roses are very pretty. I love how the felt really holds its shape and forms the petals. The buttons are divine. A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours...

marie said...

Love the roses! Did you use wool felt on them? No rush for an answer Jillayne! I know you're crazy busy!