Thursday, November 11, 2010

Artful Thursday - The Cutting Edge

The other day I was standing around talking to a friend...


When along came another friend to lend an ear...


I was telling them how busy I have been getting ready for my upcoming Sale, and how hard it is to make interesting things that don't cost the earth, especially when it comes to the finishing details. Like quilt hangers. We have very cute little wire ones at the local shop but they aren't cheap and they can add a fair chunk to the final price of my designs.

But then one of my little friends told me about something he had seen at the local antique store when he was poking around...


Very old steels for keeping the edge on your carving knives.
I know very little about using a steel on my knives, but I know an interesting quilt hanger when I see one!


The handles are fabulous: one is scrolling iron work and the other is bone. Thankfully the steel part is not too tapered so I should be able to compensate easily enough when making the hanging sleeve. They aren't very big either, but I think they will be perfect as offset hangers for smaller collage pieces and I think will give them just the "edge" I am looking for!
And the best part? The large one was $5.00 and the smaller was only $4.00!

Now if I can only part with them!

7 comments:

Createology said...

Always look at everything with different eyes. These will be very unique and clever as quilt hangers. Happy sales...

Tina @ TinyBear said...

They are perfect as hangers Jillayne. What a great idea.
Good luck at your show
xo Tina

Dorthe said...

Seems you had a great little meeting,-love the foot wear,all of you have!
And Jillayne, the handles, are beautifull,-hope you can luckyly maybe find more....so it will not be that difficult to part with.lol.
I wish you much luck, with your show, dear.
Hugs,Dorthe

Diane said...

Cool idea, Jillayne! And if one side hangs a bit lower, if your hanging tabs are wide enough, you can just add a little piece of batting under that side to lift it up higher. No one will be the wiser!
These are great collectibles no matter how you use them! But your idea is great!
Hugs,
Diane

Diane said...

PS...please tell us about the little feet you have teased us with in the first posts! The shoes are ADORABLE!!
Hugs,
Diane

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne, You have the best idea and how wonderful to come upon treasures like these. Perfect for hangers.

Love the little friends and their darling shoes. You are so creative. What a sweet and clever post. What is above those see shoes and legs. Too sweet!!

Hope you are doing well. I am SOOOO busy!
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

marie said...

I look forward to seeing your quilts hanging on those wonderful quilt hangers and I'm very curious about the bodies attached to those cute little shoes!

Wanted to tell you that I posted about my square today. Thanks again for hosting such a great swap!