Thursday, November 25, 2010

Artful Thursday - Another Hole

When I was a child and had a stunning idea, perhaps unnecessary, but stunning nonetheless, my mother would say "You need that like you need a hole in your head."

My mother is a very thrifty, sensible woman and she had a saying for everything, especially when she was trying to teach us about something virtuous, like having only what you need - a good lesson to be sure, but it does get in the way sometimes!


I still hear her, whenever a stunning yet unnecessary idea strikes me, but now I just wave the thought away and carry on. 


The most recent one to strike was this - Silk Fusion. (You really need to click on this picture to see how pretty it is!)

When this class appeared on the schedule at the shop I knew I had to take it; Silk Fusion was something my good friend Carol in the Yukon had dabbled in and sent me small snippets of her work; I was most intrigued.
If you aren't familiar with it, silk is too fine to be felted so it needs to fused together with a textile medium, hence Silk Fusion. The result is something akin to both fabric and paper and is simply lovely. All the beauty of the silk fibre comes through and you can also fuse it together with various threads, sequins, skeleton leaves and many other items.


I started with colour-blocked tussah,

and added in some silk rods, other silk fibres, a few sequins and some glittery thread.


This is a "Creative Pack" featuring silk rods, a silk "hankie", dyed cocoons and other silk fibres, all in various tints and shades of forest green. I can't wait to dig into it!


Here's a picture of the whole piece I created. It's about 12" by 14" and I can bead, stitch and embellish it as much I want. 
I just can't decided whether it should be a journal cover, or cut into bookmarks, greeting cards or bits for collage...
Perhaps I am having trouble focusing because my head is beginning to resemble Swiss cheese thanks to all the holes in it.
And that would be a bad thing because the other day I did see an ad for an oil painting workshop... I have always wanted to paint...en plein air...

Sorry Mom!!

7 comments:

Laura said...

I love the blues in that piece... I can't wait to see what you make with it!

Suztats said...

That is wonderfully rich! I can visualize all sorts of gorgeous goodies from this beginning.
En plein air oil painting can be a lot of fun! Go for it!

Tina Eudora said...

Just beautiful Jillayne!
My mom was full of "sensible" quotables too! I can still hear her voice saying...."we could make that at home" whenever I admired a dress.
Ah moms....*sigh*
Have a great Friday!
Tina xo

Dorthe said...

Jillayne,
I can`t get enough of your photoes, in this post,--I love how every photo shows natural beauty, and the colors are gorgeus.
Your finished piece is a beautifull mix, of lovely things-fantastic that mixed up, you can create this awsome piece of cloth.

Hugs, dear from-
Dorthe

Createology said...

Oh my have I ever heard that phrase too many times in my life. Your silk fusion is beautiful. I am imagining all the color combinations you will create next. Fabulous! Happy fusing...

Diane said...

Looks like so much fun, Jillayne.
Gorgeous color too.
Hugs, Diane

*CREATIVE CARMELINA* said...

Sometimes, you just have to listen to the other voice in your life...and this is one of those times. My parents were the same...telling me each and every day of my life growing up that I was wasting paper....I loved to draw as a child..and still do...all because I chose to be defiant! lol

this is gorgeous....the colour is just fabulous!
happy felting!

ciao bella
creative carmelina