Thursday, October 28, 2010

Artful Thursday - The Angelic Version

This little angel first appeared in BHG magazine in about 1995, I think! 
There was no pattern given, just a picture but I doodled a bit, and came up with my own version. Essentially, she is two different sizes of "quilted" hearts, with a little head tucked in-between


The magazine version had only white buttons but sometimes I like to add a few coloured ones...


The heart for the body is the smaller one; I like to use a layer of flannelette in between the cotton so it has a little padding and body but batting is too thick - makes her look clunky!


The wing heart in the magazine was quite pointed and not much bigger than the body-heart - I fiddled for a long time to get this one the way I wanted it - you need a wide, swooping "v" in order to have the head nestle in nicely. I quilt the wings with a few simple lines, the merest suggestion of feathers.


The best head I could get was sort of a light bulb shape - and works best if only lightly stuffed (this one is sewn and turned, but not stuffed).


Gathered lace is pinned and sewn in to the body heart when it is made - it's way too hard to add it after! Trust me on this one. I sew all the way around the hearts and then cut a slit in the back of the body heart to turn it (it's then hidden between the body and the wing) and the same for the wing heart, except the slit is cut in the front. Doing so will also hide that slit between the body and the wing.

Once you have the hearts and head sewn and turned you can embellish with buttons or whatever you like - I sometimes add small charms or sparkly bits. 

To assemble, place the two hearts, right sides up and tuck the head in between. Check positioning and add or take away stuffing from head as needed - it should lay fairly flat but with a rounded "face". When these are where you want them, glue in place; if adding a hanging loop, slip a knotted ribbon in between back of neck and wing heart. Once the angel  is completely dry, glue a tiny bit of coiled grapevine to her head for a halo.


Have fun, and if you make any please send me a picture. I would love to see what you come up with!

9 comments:

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
how sweet she is, I have made some a bit similar-but not with the wings as a heart--only normally wings--this one is very pretty-and -love the buttons you added in soft aqua tones.
Hugs Dorthe

Becky said...

This is so adorable.I will have to try and make one.Thanks so much for sharing.Especially with the holidays just around the corner.

Have a lovely rest of the week!

Suztats said...

It must be the season! Just Tuesday I cut out some material to make an angel for a gift.
I do , though, like your heart angel, and I might just try one.( can you stop at just one?) Thanks so much for the tute. Happy stitching.Hugs from Suz

Diane said...

She's sweet, Jillayne. This is a nice project for an evening when one just wants to sit and stitch something simple while watching TV with one eye. ;-)
Hugs,
Diane

oldgreymare said...

Your tutorial is great and appreciated I'm sure. I'm going to try to do one for Project Genesis tonight.
heaven help me!

xx

z

Createology said...

Your little angel is very sweet. She looks like a beautiful ornament for the upcoming holiday season. Happy creating...

Secret Garden Cottage said...

How sweet these are, Jillayne! I love the buttons! You know I'm not a sewer, but it's always fun to come visit you to see what new things you come up with. ~ Jo :)

Michelle May said...

I remember that angel. So sweet!
xx, shell

marie said...

I love this almost as much as your little button tree on a small pillow! I must try both of them!