Monday, September 13, 2010

The Right Choice

And another one's done - well, almost done; just a one more verse, but my calligraphy skills are not what they used to be and I am doing the last bit on the computer!

This is my collage card from the previous post, front cover now complete...


I added "clumpies", and buttons and did some fancy machine stitching for detail. I also put pen to ink and coloured in the stamped image a bit, some shading with green and a hint of red for the holly berries.


A closer look...


This next page features brass letters, coffee stained cheesecloth and lace, layers of fabrics and stitching and a bit of calligraphy on paper...


And in the picture below, some collaged paper with yet more stitching and calligraphy. I love the background fabric, just peeking out from the edges of the papers. I have hardly any left, so every piece is treasured now, and sometimes used reluctantly.

 I find sometimes I fight with myself; I am a big believer in finding exactly the right piece of fabric or embellishment for each part of every project I work on. But sometimes the perfect piece is one I am not quite ready to part with - I may have had other, grander plans, a loftier ideal, and whatever it is trying to wriggle it's way into is not what I had in mind for that special treasure! So I spend hours, searching and trying many substitutes, hoping I will find something less special, but equally suitable. Sometimes I am lucky, but there have been many times I have had to give up and go with my first choice, regardless of what else it could have been. A sigh, a shrug and the right choice is made.


This next page features the edging of a battenburg lace doily; remove the centre and you have a perfect wreath. I still need to add some beads or buttons or charms - or maybe even all three...


And finally, the back cover, with the year penned on canvas.


This card took quite a while so I am thinking of a scaled down version, perhaps without the extra page. Something I can make a bit faster, something that won't use up quite so much of my special treasures!

14 comments:

Tina Eudora said...

Beautiful work Jillayne!
I love all the interesting touches you added, what a wonderful imagination you have but wow the work involved! You have way more patience than I have...
Tina xo

Tess said...

This card is fabulous. I love the theme and the colors and the buttons and everything!! Wow!!! Oh and I understand about the treasured pieces...

Createology said...

I just love this collage card and how you have incorporated fabrics with pen and ink and fun embellishments. The cover colors are perfect. Happy creating...

peggy aplSEEDS said...

another wonderful piece! all the details are beautiful. and i know what you mean about not wanting to use something special just yet.

Dorthe said...

Oh they are so beautifull ,all, so much texture, and the most beautifull colors,-I love wine red for christmas, and not the bright red,used all over here in Denmark!!
The recievers will be so happy,holding them in their hands.
Hugs,Dorthe
Looks forward seing the swap items :)

Diane said...

Jillayne, they're all so beautiful and I love your holly and ivy theme. I know just what you mean about hesitating to use a special piece of fabric. Especially since we know that once it's gone from a shop, there is no going back for more later! It's the same with me for special laces and doilies....!

Happy Sewing,
Diane

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

Jillayne,
Your holiday card is so beautiful. I love it...
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

The English Romantic said...

Hi Jillayne,
Thank you for your lovely comment and for visitng my blog.
I love this piece that you did, I usually use the first fabric i think about as it's usally the right one.
Best wishes, Angela.

marie said...

Each one is perfectly beautiful in it's own unique way!
My personal favorite ~ The Greens of Winter. The "little clumps" filled with buttons and beads are a very nice touch!

Suztats said...

Such beautiful treasures! Your cards are wonderful, Jillayne, and will no doubt be treasured by the recipients!

Alisa said...

It's beautiful!
I know what you mean about not wanting to use that special piece of something. Over time however, I've found that I'm happier after I do.

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

They are very pretty, Jillayne! I also love your Christmas crackers! I wish I would be in the mood to work on Christmas items already but I always have a hard time working some months of a season ahead.
Have a great day!
Hugs,
Julia

Becca said...

I love these collage cards! I like the unfinished edges and the beautiful stitching. My favorite is the first photo...love it!

Michelle May said...

Another gorgeous piece! Oh my gosh!
xx, shell