Thursday, September 2, 2010

Artful Thursday - Yukon Gold!

One of my favourite things to do every year when I lived in the Yukon was to pick cranberries.


I used to go with our neighbours when we lived on Fox Lake, 40 miles north of Whitehorse. We were the only two families that lived on the lake - no phone, electricity, running water, central heating - just wood heat, a wood cook stove, propane lights and an outhouse - oh, and a four foot tin bathtub we warmed by the fire and filled with pails of lake water heated on the barrel heater. Ah, bath night - but that's another post...

When the kids were big enough I would drag them along and they would each have a pail of sorts and pick until something far more interesting distracted them...

A freezer full of these little gems sure added to winter-time baking fun and my all time favourite thing to make with them was Cranberry Muffins.


Now these are not your average cranberry - they're tiny and tart and way better after a frost. And the one in the photo above is a big one!


An even tinier cranberry and my trusty wooden spoon, from the Fox Lake days - see how it's worn on one side? This one is 28 years old and it makes the best cookies - whenever I absolutely need something to turn out, I turn to it.


Ready for the oven...


Done!


Cranberry Close-Up


And even closer...

Recipe

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

Method

First, drive to the Yukon and stop at the Morley River Rest Stop, about 2 1/2 hours south of Whitehorse - that's my new favourite spot and I am happy to share it with all of you!
Pick cranberries until your eyes are crossed, wash thoroughly and pick out all the dead leaves and bits (this will reduce your take by half but is a necessary step in ensuring an edible final result). Let dry.

Measure all dry ingredients in a bowl, stir in cranberries.
Mix all liquid ingredients together and stir into the dry ones. Mix, just until combined.
Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 full - I fill them about 3/4 full, truth be told. (I like a big muffin.)
Bake at 400 degrees, or until golden brown.

Don't wait until they're cool - cranberries are much better after they have absorbed copious amounts of butter, melted by smearing on still hot muffins!

I honestly don't know how these would be if made with the grocery store variety of fresh cranberries as I have only ever made them with ones from the Yukon.

But they're that good they might be worth a try...

11 comments:

Lucille said...

They look delicious Jill. Good go see you are back.

Tina Eudora said...

They look wonderful Jillayne, I am officially starving now...:)
Tina xo

Suztats said...

Drooling, and wishing I had one of those yummy muffins to go with my coffee.

Marj Talbot said...

Thanks for the recipe, and great to have you back.
I love cranberries and they are very healthy, so I will definitely try your recipe. I must use the frozen variety however, but I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

That looks so DElicious, Jillayne! I've never tried cranberry muffins, but I love cranberries, so I'll bet it tastes great! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Have a great weekend!
~ Jo :)

Maggie said...

You always come up with something good.....cranberry muffins sounds wonderful....cranberries are my favorite. Can't get the cranberries from Yukon so I am going to try the next best thing, fresh cranberries or frozen if I can find them. Thank you once again your blog is wonderful, you are so inspirational. Looking forward to the demo"s
hugs'
maggie

Diane said...

Tart is better in muffins! Yum! You're baking muffins and Eileen from Star's Fault baked a cherry pie. It's almost baking season here too - but I'm trying to lose 5 lbs.
:-( One down and 4 to go!
So nice to have you back!
Hugs, Diane

Debora said...

Oh, yummy!! Wish I could have one slathered in butter... But I'm not having wheat right now. Please enjoy one for me! :o)

~Debora

Zuzu said...

Scrumptious!!! I'm off to grab a recipe card...

Hugs,
Zuzu

Holly Knott said...

OMG, these look so good. I love the story behind them, too. You were brave to live without all of the things we take for granted, too. So those are called Yukon Gold. Are Yukon Gold potatoes also from that area originally, do you know? Enjoying your blog photos immensely!

Tess said...

Now I'm hungry!!