Thursday, September 9, 2010

Artful Thursday - It's A Snap!

My favourite part of Christmas dinner was the Christmas crackers, carefully chosen by my Mom and placed at each plate, exciting us four kids beyond measure. the shiny paper hid all manner of treasures until after the excitement of pulling the snappers!


As I grew older I found the crackers not as exciting anymore; most no longer had the colourful tissue paper hats and the surprise inside left something to be desired. I often wondered if the lack-lustre was real, or just a part of growing up and seeing things differently...
One year I found exceedingly expensive ones and splurged; thinking they would be as glorious as those of Christmases past, but no, disappointment again.

So I did what any creative person would do - made 'em myself!


When you make these little beauties you have complete creative control - what goes in them and what goes on them is entirely up to you...
And the best part is, if carefully stored, you can use them year after year - until you go and change your holiday decor that is!


The sky's the limit style-wise, glitz and glam are easy with all the lovely Christmas fabrics, ribbons, and sparkly things available, or you can go ragged and rustic as I did with the first one, tearing the fabrics instead of pinking them.

They don't take a long time to make either and if you do them assembly-line style, they go even faster. I also like to personalize what goes in them so everyone gets something special to them.

These are also for a class I am doing this winter and I can't wait to see what creative ideas the participants bring to the table!


And this is the beginning of another project; a collaged Christmas card.

Last night my daughter Laura and I found ourselves surrounded by piles of fabrics, thread, doodads and "clumpies" and started making collaged Christmas cards. Part two of that adventure is tonight and I will post the finished photos soon.

A quick Swap update for those of you that are participating - I have received seven Swap parcels so far and know of two more that are in the mail. I will be contacting the others in the next few days to check on the status of their squares and will hopefully be able to announce the Swap date very soon!


9 comments:

marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
Love the collaged cards...what a lvely idea! A gift and card in one!!

I mailed my swap package out on 8/31/10....I hope it's part of th egroupyou already received!!?

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Hi Jillayne. The poppers are a great idea! Are you going to give tips on how they are made? (hint, hint) Love the fabric cards too! Take care, Connie

Tina Eudora said...

Hey Jillayne, love the collage cards! Oh and my parcel left Tuesday, because it is cross border it may take a day or two longer than usual to get there but it the Post Office assured me they will do their best to get it there quickly...:)
Tina xo

Suztats said...

Love the poppers and the cards! I usually make my cards, but hadn't thought of collaging them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Your crackers are just gorgeous. I love them and the fabrics you used. Just today I finished a roll of tulle and was looking at the cardboard roll left behind and thought, I could make some crackers. So to visit here and see yours are such an inspiration.

Love the cards too. You are just filled to the top of your sweet head with talent.

Thank you for sharing such pretties.

I am having a givewaway if you'd like to enter.
Have a great evening.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Michelle May said...

I love the poppers! How beautiful they are! Love the collaged card too. As always, your work is so wonderful!
xx, shell

Diane said...

Jillayne, the poppers are so pretty! Anyone would be thrilled to receive one. I think they'd want to rewrap after removing the gifts. Love the card too. I made some of mine last year right after Christmas and put them away because I knew what time would be like before the holidays this year - busy!
Hugs,
Diane

Holly Knott said...

What a great idea. The poppers are so pretty!!

Dorthe said...

Jillayne,
how wonderfull they are, so beautifull, and a wonderfull idea, like Diane said, they must be rewrapped after looking :)
Your card is so pretty,too-
Hugs,Dorthe