Thursday, September 16, 2010

Artful Thursday - Blessings

Winter is coming the Swap is getting close!

I am just finishing up my 5" squares and am now at the fun part - embellishing and detailing.
Here's the first one, almost finished (just a bit of writing to do on the back but the front is complete!

"Blessings" is the title I have chosen for this one and the caption on the back will read "The blessings of the world..."


Snowmen, a real crystal button, a woodland deer, diamonds, silver ribbon, rose embossed ribbon and a snippet of lace are but some of the gifts of the world to those who dwell  in it. An odd assortment perhaps, but they all have special meaning to me...


Snowmen were my first blessing of winter and I loved building them, both as a child myself and with my own when they were tiny.
Animals are another blessing for me and this tiny deer has the big job of representing all the woodland creatures - they occupy a special place in our world and in my heart. A quiet glimpse through the trees is one of the most exciting things to see, especially in the winter forest, when all is still and the snow is softly falling...


The lace reminds of the beauty of snowflakes, drifting and swirling, and dancing down.
And ribbons, buttons and beads are gifts to me and to many of you, for how could we make such beautiful things without them?

These are a few of the blessings the world has given to me.

14 comments:

marie said...

Your square is lovely and the thought behind it so beautiful!
Snowmen are a blessing ~ I know I'm looking forward to building one with my grandchildren this year!

Becca said...

Oh this is beautiful Jillayne! I love the special meaning you have for each embellishment. Funny, I was laughing at myself, because as I was reading this, I was feeling chilly...because of your post, but mostly because the "air conditioner" is blowing right on me! LOL!

Doni said...

How pretty! Lovely job! It's so neat that you think about what you use and make it so special.
Blessings, Doni

Diane said...

Jillayne, what makes it so special are the reasons for each of your elements. It's beautiful in it's neutral, textured style.
Hugs, Diane

Tina Eudora said...

Just gorgeous Jillayne! I am excited about the swap also and hope my package has made it's way there safely? This is like an early Christmas!
Tina xo

Createology said...

Jillayne your quiltlet is beautiful and knowing the meanings behind all the work you put into it is truly a blessing. I feel blessed to follow your blog and your amazing work. Happy blessings...

Michelle May said...

Hello!!!! Can we say gorgeous!!! Loooooooooove it!!! Girlfriend you are so talented!
xx, shell

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh my goodness could this be anymore gorgeous. I love it and all the details with memories make it even more special.
Your talents just overflow and everything you touch turns to gold, or in this case silver.
Love it.
Happy Creating!
Have a nice weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

MosaicMagpie said...

So elegant looking! Great job.
Debbie

Debby said...

Hi Jillyannem, this is really, really gorgeous!! Beautiful work.
Debby

Tiffany said...

You are working on so many amazing things! Thank you so much for the tips on my art room! I love all f your suggestions! Thank you! I need to just move some things out of that room and rearrange, and make the changes you suggested (no at all offensive!) :) and start to create!
Thank you so much for all of the great ideas!
Have a wonderful day!

Martys Fiber Musings said...

Oh, yes, I really like your woven ribbons and all the adorning with buttons and lace you did.

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

Jillayne,
Your square is so beautiful. I love the weaving.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Tess said...

Jillayne, This square is absolutely gorgeous but it is not the only gorgeous piece here. The words you have woven here telling of the meaning of this blessing is beauty in itself. Wow!!