Thursday, September 23, 2010

Artful Thursday - Artful Giving

The Swap is coming, the Swap is coming!!
All the parcels are here now so the Swap is almost ready to be done - just one tiny little detail to be ironed out first...


I wanted to make a little pouch for each participant that I could put their swapped squares in for the journey home. A little thank you from me to each of you who agreed to "dance with me."
The first thing you should know about me is that I am no math whiz. I have a brother with a PHD that takes care of that and although he is usually a good sport about doing my calculations he is a busy man and has been known to scratch his head in puzzlement at some of my requests.
So I winged it...


And they fit!
(After just a few slight modifications and a bit of seam ripping. Well, maybe more than a few, and more than a bit...)
Once the size was sorted out I got into the fun part. Embellishments. Doo Dads. Bits and Bobs. 
A few months back I was poking around the local antique store, looking at old jewellery. The proprietress offered some clip on earrings at a very good price. I wasn't sure they would work for what I was trying to do but took a few pairs to give them a try. No go.
But.... all is never lost in the beautiful land of embellishing - I knew they would come handy sooner or later. Sooner arrived today...


A ribbon rosette with a gap in the centre allows the clip to slip through and hold the earring in place.
To make the rosette with a hole, insert a pen in the centre just before you gather the ribbon tightly to secure. Gather, knot off and remove the pen.


And here it is with a gauzy ribbon rosette layered on top of the ribbon one.
Close up...


I might add a bit more to this or I might just leave it alone. They won't all be the same, just two-of-a-kinds (you know, pairs of earrings).


So that's the prototype.  Lucille has kindly offered to help me make the rest of them,and I shall be taking her up on that offer.

She'll be happy to know the measuring is done!


15 comments:

Dorthe said...

Oh Gillayne, this is a so loving thought of you, how beautifull this little pouch is, the earring idea ,so wonderfull, it looks like a million.You are the sweetest ...
Gillayne ,please remember to send me the real costs ,when sending my swap-packet, you know we agreed that I will pay the snail-mailing costs to Denmark, dear.
I almost can`t wait, to see,what arrives :)
Have a lovely week-end ,
hugs drom Dorthe

MosaicMagpie said...

Love the pouch. Great job on the rosette.
Debbie

tamdoll said...

These are so nice, your work is wonderful! I love how you repurposed the earrings and made good use of them.

Suztats said...

Oh, Jillayne! How beautiful, and how incredibly thoughtful and generous you are!

Becca said...

What a lovely idea! I'm sure everyone will love them. I really like the earring/jewelry you put on it, so vintage and sparkly! I've been adding more hand stitching on the table runner, it's been lots of practice, for me and I'm enjoying it! Have a great weekend!

Marcia said...

The little bags are works of art themselves...how sweet. Jillaye, you have created more then enough work for yourself but it is very appreciated and I am sure I speak for the others too in saying it. I love this, now that I know what its all about, I'm ready for another one....LOL. Again your such a sweetie for doing this swap. Now its time to go sit out by my mailbox and try to be patient. Sure hope it doesn't rain anytime soon.......

paperbird said...

So very beautiful Jillayne- you have beautiful talent and a generous heart!

sewingseeds4U said...

Such lucky ladies...they will love the packaging. Patty btw...I've moved, come see me at Typepad. http://sewingseedscraftylife.typepad.com/sewingseedsthoughts-an/

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh my goodness your creation is gorgeous. Love the rosette with the earring. Your creating of these bags are beyond wonderful and so thoughtful of you to take on the work involved for your swap. Everyone that participated is very blessed.

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead sweet friend. Happy Creating!
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Appleshoe said...

This is very thoughtful of you. Thank you Jillayne. I was so proud of my little birds but they pale next to your talent. Take care.

FredaB said...

Jillayne the bags are so thoughtful of you. It will be the icing on top of the cake.

Can hardly wait to receive mine.

Hugs

FredaB

Diane said...

Jillayne, this is so clever and so generous of you! I don't think any of us expected this and were just so happy to participate. You've sweetened it deliciously and kindly!
It was a super fun project and I am so glad that you took on the task of arranging it for us! I don't think I'd have come up with the ideas on my own, but confining it to a winter theme made me try to be more creative by the limited choice.
Hugs! This is pretty!
Diane

Diane said...

Jillayne, re: cross stitch software.
Me too! Graph paper. But if I want to sell patterns, I'd have to have good, clean digitally produced patterns. Since I'm so computer challenged with Photo Shop, I wonder if the cross stitch software is just as bad! LOL! If so...my patterns would have to be by hand too! I suppose it CAN be done, but I'd look like a tech dinosaur! ;-)
Diane

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

I simply can not wait. As more time passes, I am more excited. You are too sweet, the little bags are so beautiful!!
Thanks for the little peak.
Michele

marie said...

What a special treat this will be! Thank you so much Jillayne...you are a very special swap hostess!
This swap has been so lovely...so much inspiration in all those beautiful squares. Thank you again for organizing this for us!