Monday, August 2, 2010

Rose-furbishing In The Garden

I'm not sure why but lately I have had a strong urge to prettify our home. Perhaps the fire did that, or perhaps it's all the inspiration to be found in Blog land, maybe it's because the fabric and trims are piling up or maybe it's because the bolt of Osnaburg I special ordered finally arrived!
Whatever the reason, I am gettin' busy.
Today I have been working on new curtains for the kitchen and they're almost done - in fact, one is hung. I'll post pictures tomorrow... but for now, here's a look at what I got into yesterday.
 I found this relic in the garage and attacked it with my antique wax. 
I thought it would look pretty with these...


Little dark green vases filled with miniature roses, thyme and lemon balm.
I can grow herbs and miniature roses fairly well - everything else is pretty suspect. My son claims my plants should come with chalk outlines because eventually I kill them; I think the poor little things die out of self-defence!

I don't know what this called but I thought it was interesting...


It was dusty, dry greyish brown  before and all I did was rub it with a good coat of antique black wax, let it dry for 20 minutes and then I buffed it really well.


The wax really brought out the brown in the wood and now it has a nice, soft lustre.


I have only ever used it to hold little vases of flowers but now I am thinking of other ideas for the fall and winter.

I have always liked decor that changes with the seasons and now I have a another prop!

5 comments:

Createology said...

Your wooden tray with it's pretty little bottles filled with roses and herbs is lovely. You did a great job reviving the wood. Happy decorating...

Becca said...

That's an interesting tray. I like how it looks with the flowers, then when you have a BBQ outdoors you could fill it with all of the condiments! :-)

Diane said...

Jillayne, what an interesting container! What makes it more so is the old wood instead of it being made from metal.
Diane

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Very pretty! I love the bottles with the flowers displayed in it!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
~ Jo :)

P.S. Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

Tess said...

What a fabulous find in your garage. I love how you chose to use it to display the flower bottles. I think the condiments idea is good too. How about pinecones and miniatured glass bulbs arranged among greenery for Christmas?