Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Quilting Wedding

I'm always on the lookout for quick and easy table runner patterns for teaching and for my Sale.
Sometimes I find them where you wouldn't expect...

This one for example, started it's life as a pattern for a runner featuring coffee cups. And while I like coffee, cups on a runner doesn't hold a huge appeal for me. This pattern is perfect for any applique because of it's open design, and I had designed a poinsettia a few years ago for a different runner (which I should do again as well...) So I married them. 

The perfect pattern and an applique design that were meant for each other!


And I think it's a match made in heaven!


When I first designed this poinsettia all the leaves were separate, but as this is for a class that is suitable for all levels I wanted something with a few less pieces.
So, I did each of the "petal/leaf rounds" as a single unit - much easier!
All I have to do now that the blanket stitch is complete is run a stem stitch from each petal join into the centre.
I had thought of appliqueing a holly leaf or two in the open areas bordered by the light green but I think that would fight with the strength of the poinsettias. Instead, I'll do holly leaves in a quilting design only.

I think I have just the perfect template...

3 comments:

C. Dianne Zweig said...

Pardon my interruption, but I am looking for folks that have either "Retro Sewing Blogs" or "Nostalgia Blogs" for an article I am working on . Please send your suggestions to me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com THANKS


Dianne
kitsch n Stuff

Michelle May said...

What a beauty! I love it!

Maggie said...

I love your poinsettia table runner so cheerful........I am also doing a different poinsettia but I like yours better especially the black blanket stitch around it...great idea!!!!Looking forward to the demo's in September, just got my news letter today in the mail. hugs
Maggie