Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Happy Buzz

I sat down the other day and made a list of everything I need to get done before I go away next week and I'm already exhausted!
We just finalized the list of classes I am teaching this Fall so now I have to get the samples ready; the big sign up day is September 11 and as I will be away for two weeks, I don't have a whole lot of time.
 Today I rolled up my sleeves (well, not really 'cause I'm wearing a t-shirt, but you get my point!) and got busy.
I started with the crazy quilting; it is my favourite, therefore the easiest. Do you find that too? What you really enjoy making is almost effortless and there is a happy buzz going on in your brain?


As it is a technique-driven class rather than a project-driven class people can choose between a stocking or a mat/wall hanging. And as I need lots of things for my Sale I am making one of each...
A pretty in pink stocking, 


and a bright and bold Santa-inspired wall hanging. The fabric you see stretched over top will be the border.


These are just the foundations ready, now comes my favourite part - stitching and embellishing!


I have all sorts of charms and buttons to incorporate as well and you can see on the stocking I added some pieces of my tea-dyed lace when sewing the foundation.


I dug around and found some over dyed silk thread called "Waterlilies" by Caron - a lovely thread to work with and one of my favourites. I like over-dyed thread better than variegated because the colour changes are not as predictable and not always in the same colour family - think mottling as opposed to a light-to-dark change. The one I am using is in cream, pink and green (in the full shot of the stocking above, it is the thread twisted and attached to the card - click on the photo and you will see it better).

After my last post I received many offers to send me a copy of WWC and I want to thank everyone for their thoughtfulness!
Despite my protest, Becca of Patina Moon insisted on sending me one, and I am truly grateful - it really is an inspiring publication and I would hate to miss it. Becca and I met when Diane Knott mentioned my blog in a post, and we have been corresponding ever since - we're even quilting together over the Internet!
Diane said recently bloggers are exceptional people who demonstrate some of our best virtues over and over again and I couldn't agree more.
Thank you all so very much for all your kind comments and compliments and stopping by from time to time - I am grateful for all I have learned from each of you and hope I have given something in return.
Blogging has changed my world, but it has also changed me.
 I'm more open to new techniques, less structure, more colour, more texture, tacky glue (I love it!) and that something else can always be added!
Thanks be to you.

7 comments:

Diane Kelsey said...

I also enjoy crazy patchwork and agree that the best part is the embellishment. I will be continuing to work on both a miniature crazy quilt and my embellished quilt after the NEC Quilt show in Birmingham this month and will put pictures on my blog then. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.

Tina Eudora said...

Hey Jillayne I love the fabric selection and crazy quilting is something I have always wanted to try...maybe this Fall when live calms down!
Have a great day!
Tina xo

Diane said...

Hi My Canadian Friend! These CQs are looking beautiful already. This is too funny....the pink one...I have all of those same fabrics! ;-)
They're among my favorites! So I can't wait to see what you do to embellish it, especially with the threads you described.

I'm off to the fabric store today because as a matter of fact, I'm running out of those same fabrics and I have plans for them!

I would have to agree with you how blogging has changed lives.
Much for the better I'm sure! It opens up so many lines of communication between creative people who would never have had the opportunity to otherwise meet and I truly believe it has added to our knowledge of techniques and ideas of exploration to keep making more and more beautiful things! It's life enhancing.

Blessings to you today!
Diane

Debora said...

Ooo, I love crazy quilts. I hope to learn how to do them one day. My great grandmother apparently knew what she was doing; I have some shots of a kitty I made on some quilts she made on my blog. Love the fabrics you've chosen and hope you'll show us the finished products!

Thank you for your sweet comments about my bears--I owe you an e-mail. :o) Big hugs to you from Colorado and the Crew!

Miss Sandy said...

Oh that stocking project looks positively delicious! I love the fabrics and colors. I see we have a mutual blog friend, Diane, in common, she is a real sweetheart. Thank you for paying me a visit.

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
You are not only super talented but such a dear heart too.

Love your creations, the colors and the details.

Yes, blogging brings a world of inspiration and wonderful friendships. It is life changing and I wonder what we did before blogging?? Diane is a dear friend to me too and I have been blessed to know her over the last 3 years.

Have a great evening and weekend ahead.
hugs, Celestina Marie

Michelle May said...

Gorgeous!! Let me say it again..Gorgeous pieces! Love them!
So glad you are getting you WWC. It's a great issue. Lots of fun people to read about.
xx,shell