Friday, August 20, 2010

Crafting On the Go

Somewhere along the Alaska Highway, my Mom and I are playing with all of this...


I spent many happy hours gathering little bits and pieces of fabric, ribbons, laces, buttons, charms, threads etc and then thinking of creative ways to parcel them up for safe passage.
I started this in an Artful Thursday post a few weeks back after seeing Rebecca Sower's article in the latest issue of Handcrafted. She had some charming ideas for organizing things but I was limited in what I had available so had to come up with a few of my own.


A wooden Velveeta box holds spools of thread, ribbon and lace along with a cloth tape measure I got from French General. A little ink bottle with a cork top hold buttons and to the right of it is a small leather box my Mom gave to me a few weeks back. It belonged to my Grandmother, is made of Italian leather and held her miniature decks of playing cards (there was even one card inadvertently left in it!) which now holds beads.


The little cloth bags on the right hold a box of silk pins and spools of cotton sewing thread and directly above them is stacks of coffee and tea dyed tags wrapped with ribbons and more lace.


Here you see rolled fabric bundles - three of them, and the project bags I made for my Mom and I.


This is another ink bottle that has beads and as there was a perfect groove in the glass, it has French ribbon wound around it. The stack is bits of fabric: some cotton and some linen, some plain and some stamped, all tied up with burlap twine.


Torn strips of tea-dyed muslin stamped with all sorts of different images - I even found an Eiffel Tower stamp. (Someday I will post about our trip to Paris and the Eiffel Tower; it's a lesson in how you don't always know what you want...)


Tins of vintage sequins and glitter, again from French General.


Tea-dyed cheesecloth and brass star paper clips.


Bobbins wound with embroidery thread and strips of muslin just waiting to be made into flowers - no, not ruched ones - I think I'm done with them for now!

So there you have it - a portable studio filled with anything you could want. And yes, I remembered scissors and needles! (Can you imagine if I hadn't? Maybe that's a vision of Purgatory for a needle worker - stacks of beautiful fabrics and threads and not a needle to be had. Maybe that's why God invented weaving...?)

The one thing I took to heart from Rebecca's article was not to plan projects when stocking the case - it's way more fun to be creative by working with what you have.
I'll be sure to take pictures of us hard at work and hopefully they will be my Artful Thursday post for the 27th!

If you have a hankering to make a travelling case such as this, you must go to Celestina Marie Designs and email her - she collects train cases and refurbishes them in the most beautiful way. Someday I will upgrade and get one for myself because I think this little art-on-the-go case will be a big hit with me!

8 comments:

marie said...

Oh my goodness! This is just wonderful...so perfectly organized and beautiful to look at! Have a great time creating on the go!!

Becca said...

What a beautiful way to pack up your stuff! I took some craft supplies along for the road trip last month, but it was all just thrown into a bag. Maybe I would be more inspired to use it if I packed it more like yours.
Hope you and your Mom are having a wonderful time!

Maggie said...

After seeing your blog I spent all day organizing my sewing room, baskets, book shelves, material, thread.......well you name it.....you once again have inspired me. thank you

Michelle May said...

Love it! So many treasures just waiting for creativity. How fun!
xx, shell and sugie bunny

Tiffany said...

Everything is so amazing~ makes me inspired! :) It is just a little box of warmth and creativity ~

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Such yummy eye candy! :o) Wish I'd had a wonderful little travel case like this when I was stuck in the car for 10 hours driving my son back to college. Such great inspiration for creating something beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!
Carla

Diane said...

Jillayne, we're just back from the Bouckville Flea Market and a couple of days away...so just catching up with you...and you're on the road playing with all of the goodies you've packed into your carryall! You have everything you need!! Hope you are having a good time.
Blessings,Diane

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

I just love the box all by itself, it is beautiful. Not to talk about what you and your mom may create with what is inside on your travels. What a great idea. I will go visit the site with the train cases.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele
ps happy travels